Maestronet Forums

Tarisio New York May

Omobono

short reviews for some highlighted violins in SF public viewing. 

It's a pity they didn't show 262 in SF. I am quite convinced it is a Landofi violin by the picture.

Thanks for the reviews, Dustin & 133tplaya,

Great looking fiddle in any case.....

post-86-0-46334200-1430887059_thumb.png

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see there are no fewer that four Beckers listed.

That may have something to do with the fact that Colin Maki has replaced Ethan as manager of the New York office. He used to run Beckers in Chicago.

Of the four, the1908 example is only listed as 'probably' by Carl Becker.

Glenn

There are recurrent discriptive adjectives used in the Tarisio auction listings, like "interesting," "good," "fine," and sometimes "fine and interesting." I'm wondering if these words in this context have clearly defined meanings. Who decides that a particular instrument is "fine," for example? On what basis? If no such descriptors are used in a particular listing, can we assume that instrument is not good, fine or interesting?

There are recurrent descriptive adjectives used in the Tarisio auction listings, like "interesting," "good," "fine," and sometimes "fine and interesting." I'm wondering if these words in this context have clearly defined meanings. Who decides that a particular instrument is "fine," for example? On what basis? If no such descriptors are used in a particular listing, can we assume that instrument is not good, fine or interesting?

There is something here:

http://tarisio.com/buyers-sellers/buyers/catalog-practice/

Each house will have it's own glossary, I'm sure, which may vary.

Naturally each description would be debatable .... only a matter of (hopefully expert) opinion. 

There is something here:

http://tarisio.com/buyers-sellers/buyers/catalog-practice/

Each house will have it's own glossary, I'm sure, which may vary.

Naturally each description would be debatable .... only a matter of (hopefully expert) opinion. 

Reading through these "definitions" I noticed that practical things like tone and playability are not mentioned.  I know, tone and playability are subjective but it seems something could be said.

Speaking from my experience, I hated using 'fine' or 'interesting', usually the former meant that you really, really wanted it (or needed it) to sell, and 'interesting' usually meant that I hadn't the foggiest.

We have stripped our cataloguing back enormously now. Sarah isn't quite happy with the style - but agrees that we should leave out the adjectives where possible, although I have noticed that the Vuillaume cello on our home page is described as 'exceptional', which probably meant I had drunk a bit too much coffee when putting the catalogue up.

Speaking from my experience, I hated using 'fine' or 'interesting', usually the former meant that you really, really wanted it (or needed it) to sell, and 'interesting' usually meant that I hadn't the foggiest.

We have stripped our cataloguing back enormously now. Sarah isn't quite happy with the style - but agrees that we should leave out the adjectives where possible, although I have noticed that the Vuillaume cello on our home page is described as 'exceptional', which probably meant I had drunk a bit too much coffee when putting the catalogue up.

The thing that maddens me is when an auction house tells me something is "interesting", or even worse "fine and interesting". That's really for me to decide ...

"Interesting" just tells me that something isn't quite right about it, and suggests that the estimate is pushy!

Jamie, your Vuillaume cello looks great.

What would we say about it?

Not "interesting", since a Vuillaume is about as uninteresting as it's possible to be.

"Fine"? Bit superfluous ...

"Rare"? definitely not ... though it's quite early and not as tradey as most.

"Good"? A bit of an understatement .....

You could go for the auction house superfluous syllables and call it a violoncello!

But I like the way you finally described it  - "Jean Baptiste Vuillaume .... a cello" ... restrained and minimally poetic. I like the estimate too!

The thing that maddens me is when an auction house tells me something is "interesting", or even worse "fine and interesting". That's really for me to decide ...

"Interesting" just tells me that something isn't quite right about it, and suggests that the estimate is pushy!

Jamie, your Vuillaume cello looks great.

What would we say about it?

Not "interesting", since a Vuillaume is about as uninteresting as it's possible to be.

"Fine"? Bit superfluous ...

"Rare"? definitely not ... though it's quite early and not as tradey as most.

"Good"? A bit of an understatement .....

You could go for the auction house superfluous syllables and call it a violoncello!

But I like the way you finally described it  - "Jean Baptiste Vuillaume .... a cello" ... restrained and minimally poetic. 

I have been thinking about going 'full pompous' and using 'violoncello'. Shall I try it in our June sale? A return to the old standards. I might even buy a pipe.

See you at the view?

I bought few bows described as good but I did't find them any tonally exceptional. Usually they  put good/fine on decorated or tortoise bows. I think for Tarisio, "good"  most of the time just means the condition, not tonally.

"Interesting" usually describes a speculative item.  However last time they put "interesting" on a misspelled strad label violin and posted it as a joke. 

I asked their representative many times about that but still can't get a satisfied answer. Anyway the best way is be there and play it.

Reading through these "definitions" I noticed that practical things like tone and playability are not mentioned.  I know, tone and playability are subjective but it seems something could be said.

No, that's not the way it works.  :unsure:

Tone and player-friendliness don't count when it comes to pricing instruments.

Only things like condition, provenance, attribution count....... 

from amati.com terms and conditions:

6.4 If you are a Registered Bidder, you acknowledge that:
(e) we do not carry out extensive due diligence on Lots and it is entirely at our discretion whether to seek expert advice on any Lot;
(f) where we make any statement describing the Lot, whether in a Condition Report, on the Website, orally or otherwise, we are merely expressing an opinion and we do not (and nor does the Seller) give any warranty, promise or guarantee or make any representation of fact whatsoever as to the origin, quality, state of repair, condition, age, maker, attribution, authenticity, history and/or value of a Lot, and accordingly, it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to these matters before bidding for any Lot that you are interested in; and
(g) you rely only on your inspection, independent enquiries and independent due diligence in deciding whether to Bid or to buy any Lot and you will not rely on the Condition Report or on any statement or representation concerning, or description of the Lot published or made by us on the Website or otherwise.....

http://www.amati.com/terms-a-conditions.html

from amati.com terms and conditions:

6.4 If you are a Registered Bidder, you acknowledge that:

(e) we do not carry out extensive due diligence on Lots and it is entirely at our discretion whether to seek expert advice on any Lot;

(f) where we make any statement describing the Lot, whether in a Condition Report, on the Website, orally or otherwise, we are merely expressing an opinion and we do not (and nor does the Seller) give any warranty, promise or guarantee or make any representation of fact whatsoever as to the origin, quality, state of repair, condition, age, maker, attribution, authenticity, history and/or value of a Lot, and accordingly, it is your responsibility to satisfy yourself as to these matters before bidding for any Lot that you are interested in; and

(g) you rely only on your inspection, independent enquiries and independent due diligence in deciding whether to Bid or to buy any Lot and you will not rely on the Condition Report or on any statement or representation concerning, or description of the Lot published or made by us on the Website or otherwise.....

http://www.amati.com/terms-a-conditions.html

OK, so you're suggesting it's eBay before Buyer Protection..............  :lol:

OK, so you're suggesting it's eBay before Buyer Protection..............  :lol:

Not suggesting anything, just quoting............

Christies:

Any statements made by Christie’s about any

lot, whether orally or in writing, concerning

attribution to, for example, an artist, school, or

country of origin, or history or provenance, or any

date or period, are expressions of our opinion or

belief. Our opinions and beliefs have been formed

honestly and in accordance with the standard of

care reasonably to be expected of an auction house

of Christie’s standing, due regard having been had

to the estimated value of the item and the nature

of the auction in which it is included. It must be

clearly understood, however, that, due to the nature

of the auction process, we are unable to carry out

exhaustive research of the kind undertaken by

professional historians and scholars, and also that,

as research develops and scholarship and expertise

evolve, opinions on these matters may change. We

therefore recommend that, particularly in the case

of any item of significant value, you seek advice on

such matters from your own professional advisers.

https://www.christies.com/LotFinder/AbsenteeBidding/ImportantInfo.aspx?docCode=COB&saleid=24680

Skinners

All property is sold “as is,” and neither the auctioneer nor any consignor makes any warranties or representation of any kind or nature with respect to the property, and in no event shall they be responsible for the correctness, nor deemed to have made any representation or warranty, of description, genuineness, authorship, attribution, provenance, period, culture, source, origin, or condition of the property and no statement made at the sale, or in the bill of sale, or invoice or elsewhere shall be deemed such a warranty of representation or an assumption of liability.

http://www.skinnerinc.com/connect/conditions-of-sale/

This charming parade of fine print from the best venues makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, like if I set foot in a violin auction house I need to bring my legal and technical staff with me.  Come to think of it, I have brought my veterinarian to auctions before..... ["Gawd, Viola, lookit the teeth!  Old sucker may die on the trailer ride home!"].  Horse and cattle trading I can understand.   :lol:

It's a pity they didn't show 262 in SF. I am quite convinced it is a Landofi violin by the picture.

Dustin, A couple of days to go but your Landolfi is attracting a bit of interest.

http://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198159360&cpid=2967994368&filter_key=9d370de330504955b0ff79b8a9909f1c

Along with the Capicchioni

http://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198159360&cpid=3341795328&filter_key=9d370de330504955b0ff79b8a9909f1c