Maestronet Forums

What is the most pleasent part of a build

jim mcavoy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And picking out the wood that's going to help make it the best.  

It's all downhill from there...  but not an unpleasant ride (except for the fingerboard).

Forgot that part, you are right but the dream starts with a day trip to a wood dealer

post-37356-0-26824600-1427902395_thumb.jpg post-37356-0-84010900-1427902426_thumb.jpg

And then you come home still excited and turn on the oven

post-37356-0-75243600-1427902495_thumb.jpg post-37356-0-33035900-1427902547_thumb.jpg

.... and on you go down the bumpy downhill, because you know a Soil Strad is waiting in the valley

Forgot that part, you are right but the dream starts with a day trip to a wood dealer

attachicon.gif2014-03-15 12.12.22.jpg attachicon.gif2014-03-15 12.12.39.jpg

And then you come home still excited and turn on the oven

attachicon.gif2014-03-15 21.53.23.jpg attachicon.gif2014-06-21 17.47.00.jpg

.... and on you go down the bumpy downhill, because you know a Soil Strad is waiting in the valley

How long do you bake the wood for at 160 deg C?

My favorite part is the varnish process. Up until that point everything feels very rigorous and tightly controlled. Varnishing is where I feel more free and artistic. I never know exactly where it's going to end up and the results are always different. I like that feeling of mystery and drama. Least favorite part would be the final shaping of linings. I'm not sure why this part bugs me, but I always feel impatient at this point.

HMMM. selling is a rush ...a great feeling when all the theory becomes reality , also even more is hearing a good player run them through laps ...that is when my emotions really fly..

in the build per say . pulling the form and closing  the box , channeling out the purfling , fairing the arch ,cutting ffs, setting the neck . That first ground layer .completing any 'step'

I really enjoy the sculpting  -- arching, graduation, scroll.

But the feeling I anticipate the most right now is one of those parallels I find between golf and violin making. (Seriously.  Why is everyone rolling their eyes?  Yeah, don't try to deny it, not telling.)  

One of the toughest parts of the game of golf, IMHO, is that most rounds you can point to one or two aspects of your game that were "on" but you seldom play a round when everything comes together.  When you're firing on all cylinders.  THAT is the definition of a good round of golf.  

My goal as a maker is to get to that sweet spot where all of the elements come together.  Where you can look at the results of each stage in the process and say "That's what I set out to do."  Right now, my continuing motivation comes from the "good shots", from the purfling game that is "on".  Or the scroll game or the gouge that gets you to the rough.  What I look forward to is when I can look at the whole instrument and say without reservation, "This is going to feel really good to put my label inside this baby."

This turned into a great topic. After reading the latest posts, I realized that what I like a lot is the sharing of information and experiences.

The one part that I have anxiety over is varnishing. I feel that I never know how it will turn out because I do not have enough self-control. I am always trying out a new idea - the road to hell is paved with good intentions.  :blink:

For me its the final set up and listening to it being played for the first time, if it sounds good thinking what you did different form the last one, and planning what you intend to do on the next one, how you can always improve.

I kind of hesitate to answer here....For me the most pleasant part is the human interaction...Doing my job as a maker to help the musician.

Most of my work these days involves making copies for very serious musicians. That can involve meeting amazing instruments and players, taking measurments and then trying to make a product that meets expectations. The woodwork is taken for granted 

Melvin,

you have taken the build to the next level (I think)

Most of us work in relative obscurity ..alone at the bench.... I'm glad that you posted

and now for Strad's secret ..it is the sum of all of the postings  on this topic

thanks to all 

Jim

You mean there is one?  I'm just starting out and have yet to complete a violin but everything I have done so far has been extremely difficult, the most difficult thing I have ever done.  Yet it is addicting.  My teacher went out of town for almost two weeks and I went nuts without having a violin task to work on.  At this point, my pleasure is learning and watching my skills grow, which they are!  Dan.

Agreed.  I got up at 5 this morning because I wanted to get started on my next task in building.  My teacher makes everything look effortless and, compared to where I started 6 months ago, I have learned a lot. She can actually hold a corner block in her hand without any other support and block plane it square with the other hand.  I'm still astounded by that.

cashing the check. Im kidding.

I get to see people cry from time to time upon delivery and that is way better than the payday!

But I love shaping the blocks and gluing the ribs to mold. It makes me excited for the new project ahead! .Also removing the ribs or "garland" (sorry Stephen)

Do they cry because of seeing the invoice that goes along? :D