Fantastic Performance in my opinion

Regarding the comment stating there are 100's of kids that were just as good as Sarah Chang, I have to disagree, but with an explanation.

As of today, there are probably many violinists of the same age, younger, or older that can give performances on that level, or even higher.

However, when she was young, she was FAR FAR ahead of the curve.  She was less than 10 years old and there was nobody in that age group who could play at that level. 

There is that story of her playing Bartok 2nd concerto for Zukerman in Aspen; Apparently Zukerman was so amazed by her phenomenal abilities that he burst into tears in front of the entire audience. 

Dorothy Delay said that she had already played nearly every major concerto by the time she was 7 or 8 years old. 

Well, we're talking about maybe one or two year difference.  I have seen a few videos of Chinese and Japanese kids who at 10 or 11 can play the Paganini violin concerto #1 with ease.  And those are the ones who manage to have videos.  What about those that we don't hear about?

Anyway, if one must be like Sarah Chang at 7 or 8, then there is really no hope for stardom for many of these Chinese and Japanese kids.

Anyway, if one must be like Sarah Chang at 7 or 8, then there is really no hope for stardom for many of these Chinese and Japanese kids.

You really shouldn't worry - there is plenty space. While Europe is contracting somehow and is falling back onto a certain expectation of quality and sophisticated musicianship , Asia is becoming a huge consumer of classical music. Given that the new "stars" tend to have VERY narrow repertoires , more are needed, not less. I don't think the future is bleak but it certainly looks different from the past. :)  There is something with new soloists record sales which is worrying but maybe it's just the times.

How many people do you know who buy Hahn's or Chang's records and listen to them for the musical experience ?

I agree.

I think we are in danger of losing the value of the experience itself...with technology (past and current).

I think a lot of people value going to see/hear something greatly over what it is they actually heard/saw.

I remember when camcorders became mainstream. Instead of taking a few minutes of video...Some people would spend their entire time recording the entire event. I rebelled. I stopped taking photos of all kinds for a long time. I would rather experience the event than experience recording it.

However it backfired a bit. I wish I had a few more photos of certain events...just to remind me I was there...lol.

It is all about balance...

I remember someone sharing this link here on Maestronet.

Absolutely fantastic. (Though, as someone pointed out in previously mentioned topic, 2:44 sounds like alley cats). Though I would buy a house close to an alley with such gorgeous sounding alley cats. :P

I KNOW I should keep my mouth shut but that's not a "great performance" by any stretch. It's well played but musically bores me to death. I can't convince myself to like David Nadien. But I'll keep on trying. :)

I KNOW I should keep my mouth shut but that's not a "great performance" by any stretch. It's well played but musically bores me to death. I can't convince myself to like David Nadien. But I'll keep on trying. :)

I suppose this is where different musical taste, or expertise comes into place. To me, this is a gorgeous version of the piece. Precisely what I imagine "Ave Maria" should sound like being played on the violin. Though some might think otherwise, and rightfully so. :)

I suppose this is where different musical taste, or expertise comes into place. To me, this is a gorgeous version of the piece. Precisely what I imagine "Ave Maria" should sound like being played on the violin. Though some might think otherwise, and rightfully so. :)

It's "gorgeous", no argument there. I'm sure it's just me. In the end everybody likes him.

It's "gorgeous", no argument there. I'm sure it's just me. In the end everybody likes him.

I don't know anything about David Nadien really. I know the name, but have never listened to any recordings other than this video. For this reason I cannot comment on his likeness or what I think of his overall playing, whether or not people like/dislike him. I can only comment on what I heard in the video, which to me sounds very beautifully played.

I don't know anything about David Nadien really. I know the name, but have never listened to any recordings other than this video. For this reason I cannot comment on his likeness or what I think of his overall playing, whether or not people like/dislike him. I can only comment on what I heard in the video, which to me sounds very beautifully played.

Here's how one of the Greats does it. Different league.

• 2 weeks later...