Sign in to follow this  
vathek

Hawaii Ivory Ban 'may' exempt musical instruments

God help us if this interferes with gun sales.

The guns involved are probably mostly museum quality antique oriental and renaissance ivory inlaid muzzleloaders.  They had better add antique inlaid furniture to that list, or there'll be some old money rioting in Honolulu.  The Chinese provisional import ban strikes me as PR posturing only, as they have quite a stockpile and didn't mention exports.

^ You are a funny yet brave man Mr. Molnar. 

I never taunt gun nuts....

Very wise of you.   I in turn avoid baiting those deluded enough to attack my 2nd. Amendment rights  :)  :P  :lol:

I promise I could get you Ivory Grips for just about any pistol you can think of.  They seem surprisingly unconcerned about this stuff.

DLB

Thanks, but strangely enough, I prefer checkered walnut or Pachmayrs on pistols.  :)

The guns involved are probably mostly museum quality antique oriental and renaissance ivory inlaid muzzleloaders.  They had better add antique inlaid furniture to that list, or there'll be some old money rioting in Honolulu.  The Chinese provisional import ban strikes me as PR posturing only, as they have quite a stockpile and didn't mention exports.

Very wise of you.   I in turn avoid baiting those deluded enough to attack my 2nd. Amendment rights  :)  :P  :lol:

I like guns to the extent that they are like old German cameras. The #2 amend. is fine with me, just the people that open carry assault rifles in coffee shops and grocery stores piss me off. 

Chinese ban on ivory? That's a laugh and half. 

Wait.  I am confused (not unusual). 

Ivory on antique guns is okay?  Ivory on antique/vintage musical instruments is not.

Do we need gun collectors to take musicians under their wing to get proper exceptions in place?

The #2 amend. is fine with me, just the people that open carry assault rifles in coffee shops and grocery stores piss me off. 

Then, whatever you do, avoid traveling to Israel  :P  :lol:

Sadly, people aren't reading the legislation and are relying on a poorly written article from Kovel, an antique dealers' journal.  This is what the Hawaii bill, in its latest last form, states:  "The following items shall be exempted from this

chapter:

(1) Guns, knives, and musical instruments whose

composition contains less than twenty per cent ivory

or rhinoceros horn; and

(2) Ivory or rhinoceros horn jewelry that can be

identified as Ming’s jewelry; provided that such

jewelry must contain a legible marking identifying it

as Ming’s jewelry."

I've actually never seen a bow or instrument comprised of over 20% ivory.  I'm thinking this bill is weaker than Federal statutes.

There are places that are doing resin compounds that may contain a certain percentage of real ivory.  I believe that this is showing up on knife handles and pistol grips - maybe some instrument parts?

The "less than 20 or 10%" of an item option has been suggested as a way out of the mess that musicians face in the future.  

Right, they toss it in a blender and then analyze the pulp to get an accurate %..."here ya go, good news for you, its only got 18.75 % Ivory in there" ...it's a little messy, but as long as your careful not to spill any, it fits in a ziplock pretty well.

I would think they could grow Ivory with stem cells? They could call it Ivory Moreau :D and then they could maybe clone some Mammoths to which I would want to get one, not for it's tusks, I just think it'd be cool to have a pet Mammoth :lol: