Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Faulk

Next time you think you had a bad day remember this photo!

Ok, I'll show this because I'm not afraid of getting some ribbing. I actually did this, stood back and thought damn you're learning and getting faster. Then I slapped myself on the forehead. Hard. 

This cello is an old Chinese cello I'm practicing on and converting to a baroque cello, don't worry it's not valuable and I fixed the problem. 

post-69241-0-90859500-1425303553_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that is funny!  I can see it.  When I used to do left handed instruments I would use colored chalk to mark everything - a different color for left and right.  Still ended up puzzled, talking to myself, and cutting things wrong the first time!

Maybe it was meant to be a left-handed cello?  And you just finally understood its nature... :wub:

On the way back from Woodcraft yesterday (which is now more or less synonymous with "disappointment"), after also learning that my favorite restaurant in the city is now closed in the afternoon following lunch rush (no food for me), we blew a tire on the highway and I probably thought that was a bad day.  Thank you for posting this.

Ok, I'll show this because I'm not afraid of getting some ribbing. I actually did this, stood back and thought damn you're learning and getting faster. Then I slapped myself on the forehead. Hard. 

This cello is an old Chinese cello I'm practicing on and converting to a baroque cello, don't worry it's not valuable and I fixed the problem. 

There!! All fixed!! :lol: Did you use Photoshop too???

post-29446-0-46755800-1425306949_thumb.jpg

Wow you are fast Bruce. 

The good thing is it gave me an opportunity to remove a bass bar for the practice. Usually I have carved them out.......so I removed this one and it was still high enough to refit on the other side, changing it magically from a treble bar to a bass bar!

I used the examples of cello bass bars in the Hill  collection depicted in Pollens and came out with a bar smaller than a modern bar, but larger then the ones in the Hill collection. The cello is intended for gut strings and a lower A tuning so I think all is good. HA! For now. 

Hi Stephen - my sympathies - especially after today's runaround...

- went to work - dashed to the audiologist and got fitted with a pair of behind the ear hearing aids - life has improved

- dashed home to collect my wife and a friend who is staying with us. Max has terminal cancer and had appointments with his physician and urologist.

- on the way to the appointments the car ran out of petrol - my fault - the mountain range 3 - 5 km away has been burning since Saturday night and has been slowly travelling towards us.

- I stopped a motorist and he was kind enough to run Rose and Max to the clinic.

- I am looking at the car carrying R & M away and almost walk in front of an oncoming car. (thank you my Guardian angel)

- I stopped a taxi who was only too happy to drive me to and from the garage to buy some petrol.

- the car starts and I return to the garage and fill the tank.

- proceed to the clinic. The medics are all satisfied with Max's progress.

- We set off for home - the car's telling us that the outside air temperature is 36C. We discuss which restaurant will get our custom.

- A - no - it's sitting in clouds of smoke, B - no - that road has been closed because of the fire, C - we turn in to find that it's closed on a Monday, D ditto, we head off in the direction of E and find that earlier in the day, a 10 ton truck had overturned, killing the driver and the police had closed the road while the truck was recovered.

I guess some days are just better than others.

Still with the amount of smoke blown out to sea I should get a good sunset picture - watch this space.

cheers edi

Edi, 

I hope today was better for you. All the events one after the other might have been a funny odyssey, except cancer and truck wrecks are not funny. Thank you for telling your story and I really hope you do well as you continue to deal with the illnesses of your loved persons and care for them. Take good care of yourself too.

Stephen

And remember you're doing better than old crusty Beethoven as he did not have modern hearing aids!~  :D

I also had a bad day yesterday, that culminated in this :angry: (and no, no...I didn't make it to rehearsal):

post-48723-0-43827100-1425394520_thumb.jpg

Actually (apart from the obvious correction needed) that seems rather a big bass bar for a baroque cello. I've seen a few old ones and they seem to be straighter along the upper surface. But if you want lots of bass fundamentals in the sound its probably right.

I also had a bad day yesterday, that culminated in this :angry: (and no, no...I didn't make it to rehearsal):

Ohhh Canada... :P

HA! When I was boy we had to walk 20 miles in the snow to rehearsal and our cello cases were bigger then. And we were happy to do it! 

Actually (apart from the obvious correction needed) that seems rather a big bass bar for a baroque cello. I've seen a few old ones and they seem to be straighter along the upper surface. But if you want lots of bass fundamentals in the sound its probably right.

I did not photograpgh the second one, but it came down in dimension because I had to replane the bottom to fit the arch on the other side of the top. The bar ended up being a hybrid size between a modern bar and a baroque bar. So how knows what will happen. 

Mike Scoggins told me a story about being the teacher at the school in SLC. A student, who shall remain nameless (but you all know of him), brought over a top, for the umpteenth time, to ask about gluing it in.  Frustrated-as we all were  at that point-he asked,"Does it fit well enough to glue it in?". Mike replied in the affirmative. He glued it in. The next day, he asked Mike what was next. Mike told him to remove the bar and fit a new one to the correct side of the top!

Been a while since I cut off a button...

HA! When I was boy we had to walk 20 miles in the snow to rehearsal and our cello cases were bigger then. And we were happy to do it!

I opted to call a tow truck...and spare my bassoon and me the long walk home...

I am just a wuss...

Mike Scoggins told me a story about being the teacher at the school in SLC. A student, who shall remain nameless (but you all know of him), brought over a top, for the umpteenth time, to ask about gluing it in.  Frustrated-as we all were  at that point-he asked,"Does it fit well enough to glue it in?". Mike replied in the affirmative. He glued it in. The next day, he asked Mike what was next. Mike told him to remove the bar and fit a new one to the correct side of the top!

Been a while since I cut off a button...

Oh come on. I fessed up in public....do tell. 

I think everyone makes mistakes along the way, I made a few blunders in my own work. But yeah someone who works on high end fiddles might not want that kind of information out in public. I do enough good work to cancel out a few bogies. 

I worked for a plumber in college to make extra money. I demoed out showers he was replumbing and built the walls back to where the new shower stall would be tiled. One day I dropped my hammer on the side of a new tub and it chipped off a dime sized chunk of enamel. 

Old Ted did not get mad beyond saying a few swear words. But he did delight in calling me by my new nick name. "Hey Chip, would you like to go to lunch now?  I hear you're buying Chip. Good old generous Chip." It never ended. 

Ted was really smart, he had a masters degree in English lit. and ran an antiquarian paper, document and book business in addition to being a plumber. So we got on well making jokes all day.e had lots of sayings that he invented.  Like:  "OH SHIT!" cancels out ten "Atta boys". 

Dropping the hammer was an 'Oh Shit!' so I had to do ten atta boys to get back on his good side. Best boss I ever had. He was fun. 

Never mind!  In another 48 hours it will be headed above freezing (with the associated mess).   :rolleyes: 

Good thing too since it is 30 degrees below freezing this morning!  :wacko:

Cheers,

Never mind!  In another 48 hours it will be headed above freezing (with the associated mess).   :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Hey Bob,

Here's the quick news from Roswell, NM.

This morning sunny and warm, and the snow is all completely disappeared...

So - the animals are outside and the yardwork continues.

It's just like summer again here today - but we may see another day of rain/snow yet!

Hey Bob,

Here's the quick news from Roswell, NM.

This morning sunny and warm, and the snow is all completely disappeared...

So - the animals are outside and the yardwork continues.

It's just like summer again here today - but we may see another day of rain/snow yet!

Sounds lovely and we may be there in another 6 to 8 weeks.  I forgot to mention that the windchill this morning is -40 degrees. 

Hah!

Thanks for the reply...

It's already changed here, and the cold has returned - and the clouds.

They say here; that if you don't like the weather, just wait ten minutes...

So I'll just wait and see if this is another cold burst - or more hot and sunny this afternoon...

Cheers,

...has it been 48 hours yet? I'm freezing even in my office... :angry: