Maestronet Forums

Highlights of Upcoming Tarisio Fine Auction

Dwight Brown

I've just seen them in person: Tarisio does a kind of roadshow/public viewing in Europe. I was there today in Basel.

Amazing, being able to inspect such a respectable bunch of Big-Name stuff.

I tried to identify what i have read from the internet announcement and managed with a Rugeri and the Cuiypers. I'm pretty proud now ;-), so you guess my skills.

I will try to go to Zürich with my cello on Thursday, and try out the Kittel bow. Estimate is 90k-150k £

Oh my....

too bad the € to $ and € to £ conversion rates are so messed up, I wonder if it will have a big impact on the auction results. I know that I will be reluctant to buy something. Consigners from Europe will be happy though :)

Anyway nice stuff, looking forward seeing the results.

The dollar is strong at the moment as far as I understand.  It may get more bids from the US?

DLB

• 2 weeks later...

Tortoise shell?  Mother of pearl?  Ivory?  Whalebone?  http://tarisio.com/buyers-sellers/buyers/endangered-protected-species/  Thanks, but I feel I have enough bows for the moment  :lol: .

I am grooving on that viola!  I wonder if it has always been a viola or maybe it was something else in a previous life.  I love the look of really old instruments like that.  I think I would buy it just for the color.

DLB

I am grooving on that viola!  I wonder if it has always been a viola or maybe it was something else in a previous life.  I love the look of really old instruments like that.  I think I would buy it just for the color.

DLB

Strange, isn't it. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

What it originally looked like and exactly how old it might be is another question.

Purfling painted on?

IMG_6976-1536x1024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Crissweden's question is a good one. Please explain.

Tarisio's definition is here:

http://tarisio.com/buyers-sellers/buyers/catalog-practice/

"The work of a follower of the maker or region stated."

Interestingly there is another fiddle on the same list "attributed to Poggi" which attracted the estimated  £8,260 incl. premium.

Both are called "A good and interesting violin........"

I wouldn't know but $75K sounds a pretty decent price even retail for a Poggi let alone "Scuola di Poggi"

Somebody, and more than one body, obviously saw something they liked?

The estimate was £8,000–12,000.

Strange, isn't it. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

What it originally looked like and exactly how old it might be is another question.

Purfling painted on?

IMG_6976-1536x1024.jpg

I am pretty sure the back purfling is just painted (I can hear the Hills saying Milanese Cheapjack!!)  I suppose the purfling is more important on the top.  My teacher had a Testore viola that was like that.  He was very fond of it.   I really like weird instruments, I don't know why :-)  Looks like maybe the top purfling is painted on as well.

DLB

I am pretty sure the back purfling is just painted (I can hear the Hills saying Milanese Cheapjack!!)  I suppose the purfling is more important on the top.  My teacher had a Testore viola that was like that.  He was very fond of it.   I really like weird instruments, I don't know why :-)  Looks like maybe the top purfling is painted on as well.

DLB

Sure, there are a few good instruments around with painted purfling, it appears.

Painted purfling is quite common on older English (and Irish and Scottish) instruments, and a few old German makers. Milanese makers (and Neapolitan, and Mirecourt) usually scratched the lines into the plates before  filling the scratches with ink or black "stuff." Of course there are exceptions, but a Testore with "fake" purfling would usually have scratched-in purfling, and painted purfling like this generally hails from Britain. 

Damn, and just as I was about to rape my 403b for it, too!  "But seriously folks," rare as Kittel is, the idea that someone would pay $200,000 USD for it just proves there's always a greater fool somewhere.  Simply out of curiosity, I wonder how much it would have brought absent first-class papers.  Any guesses? <_<