Sign in to follow this  
curious1

Scrapers

Bill,

I suspected a long time ago that Canada keeps shipping prices high to discourage imports particularly from the US. 

Mike

Mike, That's before it even arrives at the Canada border; when it arrives I'll have to pay duty, the exchange rate (which isn't very good right now) and brokerage. I order parts from the U.S all the time, so I have a pretty good idea where the average shipping rates are cost-wise. Fifty dollars seems exorbitant for this size and weight of a package. I actually prefer USPS for all shipment; the prices are reasonable, I've never had anything lost by them, and most times Canada Post waives any additional duty fees if the item is under $200.00 of value.

As a side note, I order a lot of electronic parts from Digikey in the U.S. They have an amazing shipping service: I can place an order on a Wednesday afternoon, and they will have the parts delivered to my door by noontime the next day, for about $8.00 shipping. They apparently have some special agreement with their shipping company.

Craziness!  What sets the Eberle scrapers apart from the scrapers offered at LV?

-Jim

I don't really know, except they have them in very thin stock, 0.25, 0.4 and 0.6mm. The scraper blanks were cheap enough at $3.50 US.

I see Lee Valley now stocks a very thin scraper at 0.25mm.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=49548&cat=1,310,41069

I'll go pick up one of these and try it out.

I thought I might like to try some of this Eberle scraper steel, so I ordered 3 blanks of various thickness and threw in a new post setter as a treat from Howard Core. I ended up cancelling the order because their shipping to Canada from the U.S. came out to $50 on $30 worth of product. That seems pretty steep for something that will fit into a padded envelope.

Oh well, I'll keep looking around.

A shipment cost definitely exaggerated, certainly not worth the money.

I do not think that the steel of the company Eberle has nothing special or different from any other good scrapers steel.

I mentioned the brand only for completeness of information, not because I think it better than others : when I bought the scrapers many years ago it was just what I found.

There is also the possibility that now the steel quality of that brand is no longer the same as the one I bought more than twenty-five years ago.

A shipment cost definitely exaggerated, certainly not worth the money.

I do not think that the steel of the company Eberle has nothing special or different from any other good scrapers steel.

I mentioned the brand only for completeness of information, not because I think it better than others : when I bought the scrapers many years ago it was just what I found.

There is also the possibility that now the steel quality of that brand is no longer the same as the one I bought more than twenty-five years ago.

The reason I was interested is because I've always had a high regard for the quality of Swedish steel.

Mike, That's before it even arrives at the Canada border; when it arrives I'll have to pay duty, the exchange rate (which isn't very good right now) and brokerage. I order parts from the U.S all the time, so I have a pretty good idea where the average shipping rates are cost-wise. Fifty dollars seems exorbitant for this size and weight of a package. I actually prefer USPS for all shipment; the prices are reasonable, I've never had anything lost by them, and most times Canada Post waives any additional duty fees if the item is under $200.00 of value.

As a side note, I order a lot of electronic parts from Digikey in the U.S. They have an amazing shipping service: I can place an order on a Wednesday afternoon, and they will have the parts delivered to my door by noontime the next day, for about $8.00 shipping. They apparently have some special agreement with their shipping company.

I found out that USPS works especially well for small parcels coming to Canada from the US if you ask to have it sent US 1st Class Parcel Post.  This designation is not available in Canada (where parcels cant be 1st class), When a US first class parcel hits Canada Post it continues on in the system as 1st class! Nice!  And as you say it rarely gets hit with fees when it is small.

I found out that USPS works especially well for small parcels coming to Canada from the US if you ask to have it sent US 1st Class Parcel Post.  This designation is not available in Canada (where parcels cant be 1st class), When a US first class parcel hits Canada Post it continues on in the system as 1st class! Nice!  And as you say it rarely gets hit with fees when it is small.

Unfortunately, many shops in the US only ship with UPS instead of USPS.

I have many different scrapers, but my favorites are like those of curious1. These are from Stew-Mac and like curious1's scrapers these have a hollow ground edge, but they are 3.4 mm thick. My favorite is the smaller one. In fact it is my "work-horse". I also have a large rectangular scraper from Stew-Mac, but rarely use it. It is better suited for larger instruments such as a cello.

Nevertheless, I do like Davide's scrapers and will give them a shot. When it comes to scrapers, I love experimenting.

Mike

attachicon.gifStew-Mac Scrapers.jpg attachicon.gifHollow Ground Edge.jpg

You guys are going to get me in trouble. I was browsing around looking at what different retailers were offering for scrapers because of Bill's post and I see the scrapers that Mike uses are also at IVC. Going to IVC costs me all of 5 minutes extra on my commute home. Oh well, at least I don't live anywhere near LV.

-Jim

I stopped at Lee Valley today and picked up their 0.25mm scrapers; they offer 2 scrapers for $13.50, made in France.

After I cancelled the order, Howard Core emailed back and said UPS is their preferred method of shipping, but they could send them out via USPS 1st class mail for $9.24.

As part of the online checkout process, shipping was calculated based on the mailing address and added to the total. The amount calculated for my order came out to $9.50 for shipping.

It seems to me they could have made the sale and maintained the potential for future sales if they had just shipped them USPS for the original amount they calculated for my order. Now, I would be hesitant to deal with them again.

At any rate, I guess they indirectly did me a favor by having a closer look at Lee Valley's online catalog.

You guys are going to get me in trouble.

Use them and immediately put them away when finished;  keep them hidden from your wife for awhile. When she finally spots them, you can honestly say "I bought those a long time ago." :rolleyes:

Tee hee. Because lying and sneaking around is so much better than being open about spending...$15. I am thankful that my husband not only would never lie to me, he would never waste money.

Maybe you could make some scrapers, Jim. How could you get in trouble for that? You could probably even justify a larger purchase. Tin snips, jeweler's saw, what have you. And then if she says no, look sad and mention hopefully that at least you need a few scrapers premade (for a sixth of the price of the tin snips and saw with blades.). Be subtle.

If you pull it off correctly you will get the scrapers, then the other tools a few weeks later. Guilting her out is so much better and more effective than sneaking around and buying secret tools.

Tee hee. Because lying and sneaking around is so much better than being open about spending...$15. I am thankful that my husband not only would never lie to me, he would never waste money.

Maybe you could make some scrapers, Jim. How could you get in trouble for that? You could probably even justify a larger purchase. Tin snips, jeweler's saw, what have you. And then if she says no, look sad and mention hopefully that at least you need a few scrapers premade (for a sixth of the price of the tin snips and saw with blades.). Be subtle.

If you pull it off correctly you will get the scrapers, then the other tools a few weeks later. Guilting her out is so much better and more effective than sneaking around and buying secret tools.

I made my scrapers from blue spring steel I bought at McMaster-Carr.  I still have plenty to make more but it is all thin.   

You're a wise man Bill. ;)

After 20 years, SWMBO is definately on to me. The most recent example: A coworker of my wife gave her a pizza stone complete with a metal pizza peel. The pizza peel was frustratingly useless and nearly ruined a hand made pizza. Some sins are not tolerated! So I declared I would make a pizza peel from some salvaged black walnut flooring I've been holding onto. "It's just wood, glue, and sweat Honey. The materials won't cost a dime". Knowing full well that the bowed, warped, and cupped 3/4" flooring was the perfect excuse to buy a scrub plane.  :ph34r:  She wasn't fooled.

Neuroscientists have scanned the male brain looking for an area where subtlety resides. None found in the male brain.

I made my scrapers from blue spring steel I bought at McMaster-Carr.  I still have plenty to make more but it is all thin.   

You're a wise man Bill. ;)

After 20 years, SWMBO is definately on to me. The most recent example: A coworker of my wife gave her a pizza stone complete with a metal pizza peel. The pizza peel was frustratingly useless and nearly ruined a hand made pizza. Some sins are not tolerated! So I declared I would make a pizza peel from some salvaged black walnut flooring I've been holding onto. "It's just wood, glue, and sweat Honey. The materials won't cost a dime". Knowing full well that the bowed, warped, and cupped 3/4" flooring was the perfect excuse to buy a scrub plane.  :ph34r:  She wasn't fooled.

Wait and find an old Diston saw at a garage sale.  Happens all the time.  Do you really want to be caught lying (sneaking around and hiding stuff is the exact same as lying--ask any woman)...  Good luck. 

Btw, your pizza peel scheme was transparent to say the least.  Here is my advice, which will actually not get you in trouble and is much more likely to work.  Start a conversation about home improvement stuff you could be doing, but make her think she is the one starting the conversation (you're a grown man, I hope you know how to do this) and bring up projects you could be doing...wildly appealing ones like doing some elaborate beautiful thing to the bannister or something, and nix the ideas yourself because you don't have the right tools.  Think Charlie Brown kicking the dirt in disappointment.  All the things you want to do for her, and you can't.  So sad. 

That approach will at least get her thinking differently than bringing up projects and coming up with new tools you need to fit the project, and you're not asking her for permission to get the tools.  Subtle, but it is a different approach.  Just a suggestion.  But then when you get the tools you might actually have to do other stuff before you get to make violins. 

Who says I ever lie or sneak?  I think you might be taking this conversation more seriously than intended.  Here's one of my "garage sale" saws.  Now back to scrapers. 

Cheers,

Jim

post-58064-0-94137800-1426104566_thumb.jpg

What an accusation, that I take things too seriously (plus I didn't say you did sneak, just that sneaking would be terrible advice). I figured you were joking to an extent. I hope you people don't really have to ask permission to buy tools.

Nice saw btw. Garage sale?

Scrapers, then. Continue.

The very thin scraper stock from Lee Valley holds an edge well and can be put under tension with less hand fatigue and is dirt cheap to boot. 

Most of the time I don't turn an edge on my single bevel scrapers but use a small diamond stone like a file to sharpen the edge.  How many others don't turn a burr on their scrapers? The saber style scraper that Davide Sora posted works great as a single bevel scraper.

I have a friend, a very good maker, whose favorite scraper is the  the tip of an old butter knife. It's one of the newer ones, marked 'Sheffield stainless', not the older carbon steel type. 

I have a friend, a very good maker, whose favorite scraper is the  the tip of an old butter knife. It's one of the newer ones, marked 'Sheffield stainless', not the older carbon steel type.

nuff said

:^)