Maestronet Forums

Favorite Tone Wood Suppliers

Do you have a link for them, or an expansion of the letters "IVC"?  Google gives me all kinds of non-wood related links ...

I can add one point of anecdata with oldworldtonewood - 4 yr old wood, reasonably priced, and one from a retired luthier - 30 year old wood - not so cheap.

international violin company, baltimore

I've made my last 2 violins with Simeon Chambers spruce, and I like that he measures the density so you can specify that in addition to any other preferences you may have.

I've gotten some nice maple to complete a set of tonewood by sending photos to Kenny at International Violin Company.

Other than that, I'd say that it's worth hand selecting it if you can. Find somewhere within driving distance or go to an event that has he vendors all in one place like VSA conventions or Mondomusica.

I've driven to Met Music a couple times to select wood, and they've got quite a bit to choose from. They're not one of my regular suppliers for the shop, though.

I've never been to a tone wood store.  Don't know of any near Michigan. Maybe that's a good thing, I'd like to move in a few years, and I don't want to have a trailer just of wood!  But I have bought wood for backs and necks from a store.  It isn't too hard if you a willing to go outside the regular flame maple.  The stuff they call flamed, isn't. I'm not really a fan of regular stripes, so it works for me. I've bought curly cherry and birch that was nice. I found this board that was big enough for 2 violas with ribs for $75 at a local mill.

post-53723-0-59025300-1451316184_thumb.jpg

I've built my last two fiddles with spruce I bought from Simeon Chambers, and maple that I got from Lemuel Violins (www.violins.ca). I really like both suppliers, and feel they deliver a top notch product. 

Last summer I was visiting family in Seattle, so I took some time to drive out Whale Bay Woods (www.whalebaywoods.com), located in Quilcene, on the Olympic Peninsula. I believe it's the same operation that's also known as the Wood Well (www.thewoodwell.com). They had several barns filled with different cuts of wood, and it was such a kick to be able to spend a couple hours there picking some pieces out.  In the end, I picked up a beautiful 1-piece maple back for a fiddle, and enough maple and spruce to build a cello. I haven't started working the wood yet, so I can't speak to anything there, but I can say they were a pleasure to work with and I felt their prices were very reasonable.

I was like a kid in a candy store... this pic shows their shop, and the wood that I picked up - the cello wood on the scale, and the fiddle wood on the right. 

post-29627-0-42671400-1451321065_thumb.jpg

I've built my last two fiddles with spruce I bought from Simeon Chambers, and maple that I got from Lemuel Violins (www.violins.ca). I really like both suppliers, and feel they deliver a top notch product. 

Last summer I was visiting family in Seattle, so I took some time to drive out Whale Bay Woods (www.whalebaywoods.com), located in Quilcene, on the Olympic Peninsula. I believe it's the same operation that's also known as the Wood Well (www.thewoodwell.com). They had several barns filled with different cuts of wood, and it was such a kick to be able to spend a couple hours there picking some pieces out.  In the end, I picked up a beautiful 1-piece maple back for a fiddle, and enough maple and spruce to build a cello. I haven't started working the wood yet, so I can't speak to anything there, but I can say they were a pleasure to work with and I felt their prices were very reasonable.

I was like a kid in a candy store... this pic shows their shop, and the wood that I picked up - the cello wood on the scale, and the fiddle wood on the right. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0950.JPG

I visited there too years ago. The wood vault is a dream come true. I was visiting Merrill Franz, the founder of the company.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

NBC,

Gleissner are very good. 

They have the usual maple and spruce plus flamed willow but not fruit wood. 

If you make a big order of stuff they will include some freebies. 

Just heard it straight from the horses mouth (Kenny or maybe Denny, I can never tell them apart) that IVC gets their tonewood from Gleissner. 

-Jim

If anyone is adventurous enough to follow up this source in South Poland he has good material, mostly not fully seasoned but extremely cheap compared to other sources and is a very pleasant person . He has much more maple/sycamore than spruce  But you probably need to go there and I don't know if he speaks English! http://olx.pl/oferta/drewno-rezonansowe-CID751-IDc0Wgz.html

Don't have better contact details at present but will find in 2 weeks time.