Sign in to follow this  
ViolinLove20

Passacaglia

What other repertoire are you working on?  There are many difficult technical issues to address:

Left Hand Stuff

-Double stop passages (not too fast, but hard to get in tune)

-Arpeggiated passages (fast, but basic)

-Scalar passages (fast, and very fast and difficult)

Right Hand Stuff

-Sautillé

-Saltando/ricochet/jeté

-Brush bow

-Legato

So… if these technical issues aren't a problem for you, Handel-Halvorsen is just a matter of polishing.  I've heard it on cello (!) and double-bass (!!), it is certainly easier on viola.  You already have a cellist you're playing it with?  It's a real crowd pleaser, and it's fun to rehearse.

I think the OP is referring to the violin/cello duet.  Not an easy piece, but a great crowd-pleaser, and certainly fun to play if you can cut it technically. It's sometimes used as an encore in symphony concerts.  Search YouTube for Robinson/Laredo performance.

It's the same piece.  Violin/viola was Halvorsen's original instrumentation.

Having just listened to the YouTube version played by two Korean school kids, I think I now prefer the violin/viola version. 

Julia Fischer's version is an abomination taken at a reckless speed and the Korean 15 year olds further put others to shame by playing the whole work from memory.

Thanks for drawing our attention to this instrumentation.

Glenn

Julia Fischer's version is an abomination taken at a reckless speed and the Korean 15 year olds further put others to shame by playing the whole work from memory.

Julia's is my very favorite just because she looks so damn good in that red dress.  Call me shallow.

I recommend both of the Heifetz recordings--the first with Primrose in 1941 (pretty remarkable viola playing there!) and the second twenty-two years later with Piatagorsky. (Both are on YouTube.)

I'm sure Heifetz looked smashing in a red dress, too. 

There is also a Perlman/Zukerman version that sounds brilliant except for a brief moment of wildy expressive intonation in one of the final arpeggios by Perlman.

That Heifetz/Primrose recording is pretty darn good.  

I have a 15 year old student who's learning the viola part now, so I've been playing violin along with her.  Pretty soon I'm going to have to start practicing that part, because she's starting to sound pretty good.  I'm still butchering the chromatic scales before the finale.  And, clearly, Mr. Heifetz thinks I need to practice my spiccato with much more diligence.  

WHOA- Did anyone else hear the chromatics Primrose wrote into the last variation?  Holy moly!  I'm going to go edit my part!

As I noted in another thread, whenever he played duets with Heifetz, Primrose always stepped it up a notch--either the tempo or the or the notation or even (I think) the intonation. He seems to push toward the upper limit of the note without ever sounding out of tune, much less flat (as violists so often do). I think Heifetz used that little trick himself--play a little sharp and you'll succeed in making everyone else sound flat and dull--and Primrose simply reacted in-kind.

If you listen to their Mozart Divertimento (K. 563) with Feuermann (wonderful cellist!), you'll hear Primrose driving both the intonation and the tempo (hitting each note square on from the start) when they hit the Maggiore in the sixth movement--a truly great moment! Violists can learn so much from him!

Very nice! :wub:

I also love how Julian Rachlin adjusts his viola at 2:50 without missing a beat... :)

I just got my copy of this ...for two violins...in the mail.  :)

Maybe we can work on it later on in lesson...I can maybe manage (some?) of the 2nd violin part. I think the first is still way out of my reach unless we play it all largo... :ph34r:

Nice! Thanks for the links. :)

Worked on the "Passacaglia for 2 violins" fingerings at lesson today! I am approaching this as a technique exercise... with intent to perform...at my spring recital or (more likely) at next Winters recital.

I'm excited to give it a go! The 2nd violin part is quite pretty in its own right.