Sign in to follow this  
Rue

Chinrest covers

What type of chinrest cover do you use?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What type of chinrest cover do you use?

• None
    • Silk cloth
    • Cotton cloth (nice one)
    • Cotton cloth (dish or face cloth)
    • Commercial cotton cover
    • Commerical leather cover
    • Commercial fake fur cover
    • Commercial fleece cover
    • Other

Yesterday, while watching Paganini 24 videos performed by various artists, both historical and current, I was watching one violinist fussing with a cloth chinrest cover.

Whatever works for you...works!  However, I know that a cloth would drive me cuckoo...thankfully I don't need to use a cover (*knockonwood*) but it did have me wondering how many people do and if so, what do they use - and why?

:)

BTW...I differentiated between cotton cloths (nice - ie made of attractive fabric) and cotton cloths (what are obvious face cloths and dish cloths) because that's what I see the most of in 'real life'...

If you use other fabrics...polyesters, microfiber, ultrasuede...let us know!

I use a large size Strad Pad--mainly to preserve the varnish on the bout below the chinrest (my viola has a soft varnish). It has also completely resolved my viola hickey (which wasn't bad to begin with) and is very comfortable. It adheres to the chinrest with velcro. 

Rue-  I think you mean chamois or shammy, not sherpa.

Well...I did mean Sherpa leather (and I've seen the fake ones at some point)...but I can't find the link to them anymore. I did change it to fleece though (any kind), because that's the type of material I was wondering about...I'd think it's too hot...but maybe not.

Bit of a moot point...since so far we are in two camps...'none' or 'other'...lol.

Putting a cushioning material over the instrument, especially a thick cotton towel, dampens the overtones like a mute. If you are gripping the instrument too firmly with your chin, I would suggest to stop using a shoulder rest as it will teach you to have a looser grip on the fiddle.

Edited by SailZStarZ

Putting a cushioning material over the instrument, especially a thick cotton towel, dampens the overtones like a mute. If you are gripping the instrument too firmly with your chin, I would suggest to stop using a shoulder rest as it will teach you to have a looser grip on the fiddle.

Go for broke and take off the chinrest too :)

My "other" is due to a structural defect in your test instrument (technical psychobabble for you didn't ask me right  ;) ).  What I use depends on things like heat, humidity, and makeup or lack of it, ranging from nothing (most usual) to a terry rag by way of silk scarves and such  :) .