Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Burgess Violin(s) Wanted

The fiddle needs a little work (it has been a heavily-used gig fiddle for 19 years). In the meantime, I'll eat cabbage soup. :)

No big deal, I once went for a week with only free Christmas gift fruitcake to eat when I worked at Weisshaar. :lol:

Fish starts tasteing like chicken after 3 days of everyday eating.  I would of never thought that possible. 

I have thought for reasons a maker would want his own work back after a period of time.  Maybe to recapture some lost magic, I guess.  Hope you are on the mend Mr. Burgess.

Shhh.. Don't tell DB.  That *was* my strategy.  :D  

Now I have to plan something else, or wait for one to be mislabeled...

Question: Time frame of this thread from beginning to now is approx. 3 1/2 months, one would think in that time that an an experienced maker, in good health, with few other responsibilities could make at least two fiddles in that time period?  Even the restricted Cremonese mafia would be able to produce about 2 violins? Is it that those other instruments were promised from a waiting list? This does not bode well for my plans to acquire a certified db fiddle. :(

New output is already spoken for, for a ways into the future.

It's nice for a maker to at least have a representative sample fiddle or two. Most people want to try something before they commission.

I was in the same boat.  When I decided to go ahead and commission an instrument - I didn`t really have the opportunity to see or test drive a sample either.  I made my decision based on the recommendation of my teacher, and the knowledge that a couple of Symphony players and other professionals were happily playing instruments made by this luthier.

However, one of the other `kids` taking lessons at the time happened to have one...so I at least had that opportunity to see one and play a scale on one.  But it was just after a recital was over, and I wasn`t comfortable doing more than what I did.

And, while I understand the need to sell, I was also surprised that there wasn`t at least one representative sample available.

It all worked out very well in the end...but as a buyer, it would have been nice to be able to do my test-drive in no-rush, relaxed atmosphere.

You hopefully have a store front piece by now but I had to share this one that's currently for sale. Labelled William E. Burgess,fecit Trenton anno 1931, is that a relative?

$_59.JPG

$_59 (1).JPG

William E. Burgess was a real maker, but David Burgess was a name invented by Metropolitan Music Co.  no doubt to create confusion and capitalize on the name. 

On 6/3/2015 at 9:12 AM, Rue said:

I was in the same boat.  When I decided to go ahead and commission an instrument - I didn`t really have the opportunity to see or test drive a sample either.  I made my decision based on the recommendation of my teacher, and the knowledge that a couple of Symphony players and other professionals were happily playing instruments made by this luthier.

However, one of the other `kids` taking lessons at the time happened to have one...so I at least had that opportunity to see one and play a scale on one.  But it was just after a recital was over, and I wasn`t comfortable doing more than what I did.

And, while I understand the need to sell, I was also surprised that there wasn`t at least one representative sample available.

It all worked out very well in the end...but as a buyer, it would have been nice to be able to do my test-drive in no-rush, relaxed atmosphere.

This question is four years old, but I’m kind of interested in what maker you ended up with? 

Edited by PhilipKT
“Trugs” is not a word

I’d love to play a Burgess cello. He made hundreds of instruments so there should be a few in Dallas closets somewhere.

Edited by PhilipKT
Plural

On 5/16/2015 at 9:58 AM, Rue said:

How many people collect violins from the "best" living makers?

...(makes NO mention of investment potential.) .

Me.

i have one.

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Me.

i have one.

"One" does NOT a collection action make! ^_^

10 hours ago, Rue said:

Ah, but remember Aesops fable about the animals of the jungle boasting about how many children they had, and finally they went to Mrs Lion and asked how many children she had.

”Only one...but that one is a Lion!”

:-)

I would love to have more cellos, but my wife would frown, so my collection is just one…

15 hours ago, Rue said:

This series of comments is about David, so let me stress that I’d love to try one of his cellos.

i posted somewhere about meeting my first “Burgess” a couple weeks ago during a concert series. A guy’s viola case was on the table next to me. He opened the case and took out a lovely viola. I asked what it was and he looked inside and said,” David Burgess.” He let me look at it and it was quite lovely, from 1987. I said so, and he smiled and said,” it has always given everything I have asked. I’m very happy with it.”

So that’s a Lion. His collection of one.

Well, collection or not, it always makes me happy to hear that other people are happy with their equipment! :)

My son has three violins.  As their caretaker, I count them.  I have my #1 violin that is the instrument I play and my #3 viola that's looking for a new home with a musician.  My goal is to add to other peoples collection not mine. 

3 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

My son has three violins.  As their caretaker, I count them.  I have my #1 violin that is the instrument I play and my #3 viola that's looking for a new home with a musician.  My goal is to add to other peoples collection not mine. 

That made me laugh, I would imagine that every violin maker has the same goal.

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

That made me laugh, I would imagine that every violin maker has the same goal.

Yup! :)  I do plan on adding to my "collection" one cello.  That's probably a couple of years off (if my shoulders last that long).