Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Burgess Violin(s) Wanted

Just found this beauty in another collection:

http://www.boorsecollection.com/burgess

(Ever been played?)

It's been played some, but I don't know how much. All the violins got a thorough workout by a number of players as part of the selection/approval process, and the owner plays (although that's not his main profession). Some of the instruments are lent to musicians.

Any old Burgess violin?  http://www.bristowvi...arte/4538239041

Of course, that's not one of mine.  Bristow Violins and I had a little correspondence about the wording when I first found out about that ad, and I think that's when it was changed from "Burgess" to "antique English violin by Burgess". It would still be nice if they used the first name of the maker to reduce any confusion.

That's the same outfit that was allegedly selling a fake John Harte violin a few years ago. Remember this thread about it?

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/326457-more-violin-mislabelling/

Hey, I just noticed that the link to the "John Harte" violin in that thread now pulls up the "violin by Burgess", (same web address, still containing "new-zealand-violin-harte"). :lol:

Maybe that's Bristow Violins revenge for my getting involved in that thread?

We'll see how long those links last in their current form. Perhaps things will get shuffled around again.

Bristow, I downloaded and saved your "John Harte" page before it was changed, and I also have it downloaded and saved in its current "Burgess" form. You're walkin' on thin ice!

It's been played some, but I don't know how much. All the violins got a thorough workout by a number of players as part of the selection/approval process, and the owner plays (although that's not his main profession). Some of the instruments are lent to musicians.

Of course, that's not one of mine.  Bristow Violins and I had a little correspondence about the wording when I first found out about that ad, and I think that's when it was changed from "Burgess" to "antique English violin by Burgess". It would still be nice if they used the first name of the maker to reduce any confusion.

That's the same outfit that was allegedly selling a fake John Harte violin a few years ago. Remember this thread about it?

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/326457-more-violin-mislabelling/

Hey, I just noticed that the link to the "John Harte" violin in that thread now pulls up the "violin by Burgess", (same web address, still containing "new-zealand-violin-harte"). :lol:

Maybe that's Bristow Violins revenge for my getting involved in that thread?

We'll see how long those links last in their current form. Perhaps things will get shuffled around again.

Bristow, I downloaded and saved your "John Harte" page before it was changed, and I also have it downloaded and saved in its current "Burgess" form. You're walkin' on thin ice!

Funny, if you go in via their website, it uses this link http://www.bristowviolins.co.uk/#/burgess-violin/4538239041 to reach the same violin.  No mention of Harte in the URL.   :huh:

Funny, if you go in via their website, it uses this link http://www.bristowviolins.co.uk/#/burgess-violin/4538239041 to reach the same violin.  No mention of Harte in the URL.   :huh:

Funny, yes. Try the link that Melvin put in his first post for the "John Harte" violin in the "More Violin Mislabeling" thread (that thread is at http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/326457-more-violin-mislabelling/), and notice that it no longer pulls up the "Harte" violin, but now pulls up the "Burgess" violin. But if you pull it up and read the complete address, the address still reads "bristowviolins.co.uk/#/new-zealand-violin-harte/4538239041". Bristow can change what the link points to on his own website (and that could change at any moment), but he can't edit the address in Melvin's link.

Maybe by Monday, the link will point back to the original ad for the "John Harte" violin. :lol:

yep, it happens.  The title says "Antique English Burgess Violin".  It is what it is though.  If someone looked at that and thought it was yours they would be ridiculous.

It still seems a little scummy to me, that the content of Bristow's web page was changed in a way that Melvin's link now pulls up a "Burgess" violin, instead of the "Harte" violin it originally pulled up, and which was the topic of that thread.

David, a student of my wife's brought one of your violins on trial from Johnson (I think) to show us at a recent lesson. They were asking 20k, and it was a wonderful instrument!

David, a student of my wife's brought one of your violins on trial from Johnson (I think) to show us at a recent lesson. They were asking 20k, and it was a wonderful instrument!

Thanks. Nothing at Johnson (I just checked), although they mentioned having something a while ago which was sold. If you could find out more about this violin, I'd sure appreciate it.

Mr. Burgess, are those 7mm overstand heights used on what I see of your violins here? 

Probably not. I don't remember ever going as high as 7. Maybe 6.5 on occasion, but more typically around 6.

Thought you more in touch with the market for contemporary makers, Steve. 

Indeed, I am in touch with the market, Jeff.

Then your comment was made in jest?  If so, the humor seems to have been lost in translation.

I made no comment in jest.  You assume too much.

Isn't that a rather high retail price?

I made no comment in jest.  You assume too much.

I didn't assume, I asked.  If you actually are in touch with the market, the alternatives that this brings to mind isn't flattering, Steve.

Participate with a little class or don't bother, OK?

My question was valid which you turned into something else.  You're unwelcoming attitude is what lacks class, OK?

My question was valid which you turned into something else.  You're unwelcoming attitude is what lacks class, OK?

I'll be more than happy to let the other members here to decide if they agree with your statement, or not.

David, maybe it was Claire Givens shop? We're out in Southern California so the student had the instruments shipped to her for trial...I'll ask her which shop it came when she sees my wife for her lesson next week.

David, maybe it was Claire Givens shop? We're out in Southern California so the student had the instruments shipped to her for trial...I'll ask her which shop it came when she sees my wife for her lesson next week.

Thanks, Gene.

I'll be more than happy to let the other members here to decide if they agree with your statement, or not.

Well, Mr. Steve could of "let the sleeping dog lie" but he didn't. 

Mr. Burgess' violins may be the exception to all others.  I may think mine are worth a certain amount but nobody else will.  I sure he's tickled to death by the worth of his violins, even if he doesn't think they are worth it.  The ones I viewed are clean and perfect looking. 

Well, Mr. Steve could of "let the sleeping dog lie" but he didn't. 

Mr. Burgess' violins may be the exception to all others.  I may think mine are worth a certain amount but nobody else will.  I sure he's tickled to death by the worth of his violins, even if he doesn't think they are worth it.  The ones I viewed are clean and perfect looking. 

I place a high priority on workmanship, but I also think that alone won't cut it, without also placing a high priority on sound.

A quote from Sam Z, last time I talked to him:

"I make what I make, some people like them".

I thought that was cute, and sums things up pretty well.

Thanks, Gene.

Hi David,

I stand corrected, it was a private sale, so not from a shop.

I place a high priority on workmanship, but I also think that alone won't cut it, without also placing a high priority on sound.

A quote from Sam Z, last time I talked to him:

"I make what I make, some people like them".

I thought that was cute, and sums things up pretty well.

I make what I like to make.  I just wish someone would pay a five-figure sum for one of my violins. :D

Well...I can make you a 5 figure offer on one of your violins.

Which you will immediately and graciously decline of course...

Would that be of help?