Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

Burgess Violin(s) Wanted

Is this a factory recall?  :ph34r:

There's a problem with the ignition switch which may cause the air bags to go off spontaneously and unexpectedly. :lol:

No, I just need fiddles. It would be nice to at least have a representative sample around.

David Burgess violins wanted. Looking to buy.

Does anyone know of any for sale?

I have a feeling, could be wrong, but I bet you could make one just like it !

You folks are great! :)

I really do have an urgent need for a fiddle or two though,  and maybe more down the line, so as much as I appreciate the  teasing, I'd also appreciate it if this thread didn't totally go in that direction. ;)

Some of us have also been looking for a Burgess violin(s).  I did hear of a sighting at a local luthier, but that was a year ago, and not actually at that luthier's place.  (It was a maybe).  Really wanted to try a Burgess or a Hargrave, which seems even rarer. 

I doubt that I would be ever able to play one against the other, though.  :(

Want!

Are you OK David????   Can't you just make some more of these beauties ? I want one.

I've gotten a little wimpy with age....  I don't put in the 80 to 100-hour work weeks that I once did. ;)

The Smithsonian has at least one of your violins in their back rooms. When I lived in the DC region, I asked to see it, but was turned down because I did not have any "credentials."  It has been sitting in their back rooms for 30 years. They should either give it back to you, or put it on display.

The Smithsonian has at least one of your violins in their back rooms. When I lived in the DC region, I asked to see it, but was turned down because I did not have any "credentials."  It has been sitting in their back rooms for 30 years. They should either give it back to you, or put it on display.

That's funny, because my sister also asked to see the violin when she was there, and was refused.

The violin has been exhibited, but the Smithsonian has about a thousand times more items than they have room to display at any one time, so they rotate. What they rotate, and how often, will somewhat depend on the level of interest. Last time I was there, there was an exhibit of historic vacuum cleaners. Almost every visitor has used a vacuum cleaner, right? :)

It might be hard for them to give the violin back to me, since I didn't give it to them in the first place. It was purchased by a group of museum supporter/philanthropists, who then donated it to the museum.

Some things may never be exhibited, like their collection of phallus-inspired wind instruments. :o:lol:

David.  Most curious if you found your violins?

Nothing has come out of the two threads, one here, and one on Violinist.com.

However, a friend and former employee informed me of one that might be coming up in an estate sale, and I'm pretty sure I've managed to get that one before it hit the larger market. One down. Still looking.

It might be hard for them to give the violin back to me, since I didn't give it to them in the first place. It was purchased by a group of museum supporter/philanthropists, who then donated it to the museum.

This appears to be the link to the instrument:

Gift of the Friends of Music at the Smithsonian (currently not on view)

At least we can see the pictures.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_605484

post-86-0-64746900-1429227961_thumb.png