Sign in to follow this  
rottrunner

UV Box

I'm going to try and make my own UV booth, but I'm not terribly sure where to start. I can't afford to buy a big one, and I'm sure there are cheaper/more inventive ways to create one.

What do you all use?

This is the box I use in my shop and also what we use at the Varnish Workshop. 

30 gallon trash can

4-5 black lights

multi-plug

clamps & plywood

Cost is about $125.

Joe

post-6284-0-26813900-1423657384_thumb.jpg

A uv box can be set up in about 10 minutes.  You line the closet with aluminum foil and get a piece of string tied across the top.  Throw a container with some water and a sea sponge in the bottom (which those who know better say is not enough, but the humidity measurements really seem to end up right) and a bunch of uv lights of different spectrum should line the walls.  So easy! 

Obviously the scroll goes over the string and it hangs there like that.  This seems to work fine. 

Joe, I need a trash can that fits two cellos!

Chris,

The last one I made was a modified grow light stand...room for 2 cellos.  I don't varnish 2 cellos at a time any more....sigh of relief...

on we go,

Joe

A uv box can be set up in about 10 minutes.  You line the closet with aluminum foil and get a piece of string tied across the top.  Throw a container with some water and a sea sponge in the bottom (which those who know better say is not enough, but the humidity measurements really seem to end up right) and a bunch of uv lights of different spectrum should line the walls.  So easy! 

Obviously the scroll goes over the string and it hangs there like that.  This seems to work fine. 

I've never seen an empty closet. :P  Sorry, couldn't resist.  I found an old knock-down wardrobe at an estate sale I plan on using as a drying cabinet.

-Jim

IIRC, titanium white paint reflects well into the UV. If I am right, you could just paint a small closet or a big makeshift box. Of course, aluminum foil and galvanized cans are the best reflectors by far. Joe Robson's garbage cans work well for violins and violas.

Awesome ideas, thank you all so much. I have a giant, heavy cardboard box that I think will work well lined with aluminum foil, so I'm going to give that a shot.

I am afraid that the connection of the combination of cardboard, aluminium foil and moisture to the 110 or 220 V AC could cause some strange happenings.

I am afraid that the connection of the combination of cardboard, aluminium foil and moisture to the 110 or 220 V AC could cause some strange happenings.

The lights I have are battery powered, and the box is vented, so I'm not anticipating any problems -- unless you're referring to something I'm not aware of?

The lights I have are battery powered, and the box is vented, so I'm not anticipating any problems -- unless you're referring to something I'm not aware of?

My mistake - I understood that you intend to connect the box to power grid.