Maestronet Forums

Buying - Pollens, The Violin Forms of Antonio Stradivari

Kimmo89

Want to buy this book. Let me know if you have one to sell.

Please contact me with personal message or e-mail. kimmo_partanen ( "at" ) hotmail.com

As the books contains writings of the materials, I think its an accessory as told to be OK in the "terms and conditions".

Kimmo

• 2 years later...

Still looking.

I even ordered (borrowed) one from germany to my local library, but after it had arrived, they told me that I can not really borrow it, just read it inside library. I didn't believe my ears.

How hard it can be to get one book to your hands?

I told them to send the book back.

These happenings makes me sad. Always disappointment.

Someone sell me this book with fair price. I really want and need it.

• 5 weeks later...

I am looking for the book with its measurements.

Not only for molds, but F-hole positioning in Stradivari style.

I already have seen all the drawings and pictures from the internet. And those are all different, when you compare them.

Does the Francois Denis book have the Stradivari F-hole positioning?

24 minutes ago, Kimmo89 said:

I am looking for the book with its measurements.

Not only for molds, but F-hole positioning in Stradivari style.

I already have seen all the drawings and pictures from the internet. And those are all different, when you compare them.

Does the Francois Denis book have the Stradivari F-hole positioning?

If you have access to good images of actual violins, you have enough information for f-hole positioning. 

IMG_20171105_162539.jpg

That's not unreasonable, but I think it's a mistake to consider studying the proportional relationships present on surviving Strads "directly copying to wood". What I'm suggesting is that you discover for yourself what those relationships are, how they manifest, and how the execution varies across as broad a sample as you wish to approach. I think that will tell you more about what Stradivari did than knowing the length of the Cremonese punta circa 1689. 

Kimmo, 

Francois Denis is active on Maestronet at the moment in the geometry thread. If you buy his book which is now back in print, it has excellently scanned copies of the violin moulds. My apologies if I am misremembering, but I believe that he found that the slight distortion in Pollens' photographs was enough to be a problem with accuracy. Remember the book was an enormous step forward at the time, but that does not mean that it is still at the cutting edge of research. The Museo Stradivari has also published a catalogue of all Stradivari's stuff, which came out last summer. I am not sure if the moulds are scanned or just photographed, but I would certainly buy that even if you still want Stewart's as well. (I have a copy of Stewart's book - it's not for sale, but I am familiar enough with it as a result). 

Good luck! I haven't seen one for sale for years... goodness knows where they all went to!

Everyone knows the Amazon price is not correct. No one never pays.

This book was in Ebay end of summer and ended up between 120-150$, swich is the correct price.

I was in bad position to bid.

People says the price in auctions.

You can ask what you want, but are you sure you will get intrests.

Kimmo,

If you want to see the sound hole layout drawings, you can get the Pollens book, or you can more easily get the book that Ben mentioned, the recent catalogue from the Stradivari Museum  http://www.museodelviolino.org/en/nuovo-libro-antonio-stradivari-disegni-modelli-forme/

This is an excellent resource, and has images with measurements of all the pieces that are in the Pollens book (you have to have both the book and the cd that goes with it to be useful). 

• 2 months later...
On ‎22‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 4:25 AM, Kevin Kelly said:

Kimmo,

If you want to see the sound hole layout drawings, you can get the Pollens book, or you can more easily get the book that Ben mentioned, the recent catalogue from the Stradivari Museum  http://www.museodelviolino.org/en/nuovo-libro-antonio-stradivari-disegni-modelli-forme/

This is an excellent resource, and has images with measurements of all the pieces that are in the Pollens book (you have to have both the book and the cd that goes with it to be useful). 

I see this book is only in italian. It would make reading too hard.

But if there are clear phototexts telling from what the photo is, maybe it is worth it. Are the important photos in 1:1 sizes?

Bad luck continues.

Just got the designi-modelli-forme book.

The picture does have a hardcovers, but this does not. Packet was also missing the CD.

Also no photos or measures for violin F-hole positioning, swich was the reason to buy the book.

The top cover of the book is incorrect by then, but it has the best photo of this book.

Does the Denis book have all for F-hole positioning?

001.thumb.JPG.9fd44ac14876d39974e98a307f337caf.JPG002.thumb.JPG.a245ad5d61f1e9918a9535fc7927ceef.JPG

This is what my Denis book has. I don't think that you will find numbers directly guiding you to place the f-holes 'here' at 'this' measurement, but he does show you how he thinks that the placement fits into his ideas. So yes and no. He won't tell you where to put them but he will show yo how to figure out where the could go.

The critical measures would be enought, not every sircle.

I dont know if there are patterns today for P, G and PG models. I think I have seen those in internet somewhere.

I have to contact Denis and see what this book costs. At least the photos of forms seems good.