Sign in to follow this  
Urban Luthier

Violin Varnish Book (notes and articles from KOEN PADDING)

BTW, someone can argue with me but I think there is quite a bit of variation on different Strads, so it's a mistake, IMO, to think he had it nailed down perfectly and was boringly consistent.

You are correct to highlight  variations....The underlying grammar of the finishes is very boringly consistent.

Thanks, Ken,

The problem is the prompt suggests that I can alter the number of copies ordered and then click on edit;  but I see no "edit button."  Even though I put -0- in the box and close the whole thing, the next time I open it I get an even higher number.  Like I said, I'm up to -5-.  I'm not worried about having ordered it, because I haven't even gotten that far.  Amusing. Makes me feel 73.  Wait a minute;  I AM 73.  Oy!   :)

Have you tried to press the icon of the trash can, right of the quantity?

Took it down as some people took it wrong!

P.S. All done in jest!

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but an idea of how this looks to those trying to help others, and have a hard time doing so.

I think this book will generate more than £25 worth of Threads here at Maestronet, and so for just that, it is worth it.

And yet...

and yet...

What could be more enlightening, than a book about nothing?

Why, many authors eventually realize that that's exactly what they have left to say.

And so - they continue on writing - and selling.

(Even after they're gone.)

Now, I can, often have, and may even continue to do so in the future. But, for now (at least) I have decided that my craw is full of other peoples wandering speculations, and stories from their lives. 

Yeah, sorry, I want varnish recipes in a Violin Varnish Book. Otherwise, I probably don't want the book.

I've already had enough stories. Small minded, though I may be. My only interest in varnish is with regard to how others may wind up with their own "brand"...

As I have.

P.S. All done in jest!

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but an idea of how this looks to those trying to help others, and have a hard time doing so.

I think this book will generate more than £25 worth of Threads here at Maestronet, and so for just that, it is worth it.

Damn DBurns!

That was pretty funny!

Yeah, we all know who will generate what, where, don't we?

As it should be. And yet some opinions deserve to be discussed without the fear of being called "feebleminded" or some such...

Opinions are just that. Opinions. That they don't all point in one single direction, well, I'm guessing that's perhaps what you're showing here with this hilarious post?

ct

Have you tried to press the icon of the trash can, right of the quantity?

Thank you, franciscus.

Strangely, after waiting almost 24 hours, everything was cleared and I seem to have ordered the book.  I hope so.  I don't read terminology from paypal very well, but they tell me I will become a "proud owner of the new book."  (My words)

Write down the recipe of butterscotch and give it to ten violinmakers and they all will end up with the same results? - no they won't!

This is what varnish making is all about, it's not a theory, it's a knowledge that you have to practice.

I don't make butterscotch, but if I wanted to a decently-written recipe would get me much closer to a useful result than a shopping list of ingredients would. In this case it doesn't matter because I already have a system that I'm fairly happy with and I'm too old to spend a lot of time re-developing someone else's recipe.

Geez guys, and girl,

just buy the book. It's cheap as far as violin books go, you won't be getting a bootlegged copy from me, and how can you continue to bitch and gripe about it's uselessness if you don't have a copy to read and consider.

There isn't a recipe. There isn't a secret. Mix stuff together, don't burn yourself or burn your house down, paint it on. That seems to be the violin maker varnish ethic. If it dries, it's varnish. If it doesn't, you can't figure out why and you blame the person who gave you the recipe.

It's Chemistry, and if you have a bit of knowledge and a bunch of ingredients, you might just be dangerous.

Order the book, read it, then let's have a thread like this!

I'm not looking for a bootleg handout, and I don't believe I've griped or bitched about it in any manner; I was simply looking for a little more information that I could use towards making an informed decision to purchase, or not. In this age of being hammered by product advertisements trying to convince me to buy everything, I like to know a little about what it is I'm purchasing. Is this wrong, or in bad taste?

I imagine that those people that were close to Koen Padding and his family would have more personal perspective regarding this decision.

So far it's been revealed about the book:

1) Doesn't contain any varnish recipes

2) Doesn't get into detail of any specific varnish method or tutorials

3) Contains supplier lists for varnish ingredients 

4) Proceeds from the book sales are to help out the Padding family

Perhaps it would be nice if someone who has read the book could do a review. Is this unreasonable?

Edit: I should add, even before the Stradivari Varnish book came available, I had my order placed because the content was made readily apparent. I certainly don't regret the purchase.

I doubt I will ever make an instrument, but I have a strange need to learn.  I ordered a book.  Varnish is a very personal thing for violin makers.  Is there at least a good starting place for new makers that is shared?  I really know nothing about it.  I can remember talking about whether an instrument's varnish was an oil varnish (Good! :-) or a spirit varnish (Bad! :-(  We of course really knew absolutely nothing on the subject.  This was years and years ago when I was in school.  I am very grateful to Roger for the articles on his website.  I have read them all and will read them again.

I did not know the person, the family or the product, so I distinguish the purchase of a commodity (the book) from the contribution to a charitable cause.

And the price is irrelevant.

I am looking forward to this book.  Ordered it with email receipt an all  :)    I am grateful to those who contributed to it and put the work into bringing it together. Koen was by far the highest regarded varnish maker of recent time and all the top violin makers that I am aware of either used his products or regarded him at the highest level.  In my mind, if you are a professional violinmaker, this is a no brainier.

Roger Hargrave, one of the top makers ever described his varnish, his ground, and his method of application.  What do you all want?  I suspect some kind of silver bullet.  Ain't gonna happen.  Not even Strads varnish is gonna make a average fiddle into a great fiddle.  The trick is to learn to use a good varnish.  Weather it's Roger's, Joe's, or someone else's.  Varnish, varnish, varnish.  You can read about it till the cows come home, won't help.  

Got mine ordered today, thanks for the reminder .

Not that R's instructions are not good ..He has said that he would not share Koens "secrets" and I respect that ,  .. It is just nice to get a wider view of the world of varnish. it is the first impression we get of a fiddle, and as such is central to the making process  .One piece of useful information pays double the cost .  ..IMHO ... and the cost is very reasonable, and proceeds go to a great non profit ...Luthiers Sans Frontiers. 

Roger Hargrave, one of the top makers ever described his varnish, his ground, and his method of application.  What do you all want?  I suspect some kind of silver bullet.  Ain't gonna happen.  Not even Strads varnish is gonna make a average fiddle into a great fiddle.  The trick is to learn to use a good varnish.  Weather it's Roger's, Joe's, or someone else's.  Varnish, varnish, varnish.  You can read about it till the cows come home, won't help.  

Hi,

Going to seminars and listening varnishmakers, conservationists, and many top makers in the last 20years, the best tip I got was for a reccomendation for a good varnish stripper! :)

Hi,

Going to seminars and listening varnishmakers, conservationists, and many top makers in the last 20years, the best tip I got was for a reccomendation for a good varnish stripper! :)

The best tip I can give is to always test and refine your process on samples. Then there will be little or no need for varnish stripper. :)