Sign in to follow this  
Urban Luthier

Violin Varnish Book (notes and articles from KOEN PADDING)

Violin varnish book (notes and articles from the workshop of KOEN PADDING).

Edited  by Helen Michetschlager

This project was discussed a while back in a separate thread. I just saw that the publication is now availabe for pre order

What are the distinguishing features of this book?

If nothing else, we should all purchase one to support the family. Maybe 2, so that one can be full of our own secret notes, and one to share.

I am certain that there won't be any answers in the book, but lots and lots of questions. I like.

It should be a great book.

I hope so. 

Clearly, many folks were in close communication with Mr Koen, but have revealed little of these interactions in the public domain. He himself did not put out much info on the composition of his products.

So the big question for me is: Do the notes and writings create a cohesive varnishing story that can be implemented by a third party reader in the absence of commercially-available Magister products?

That is a very good question, I would love to see a complete how and why method. Being that the proceeds go directly to the family, prompts me to purchase a copy in any case though.

Is that what you all want?  Recipes laid out for you all nice and neat with step-by-step instructions?  It won't be that, I'm certain, and it's not that I wouldn't want that, but I think it would be just short of dreadful if everyone in the world could suddenly cook up a batch of Magister.jmo

Is that what you all want?

A "cohesive varnishing story" does  not equal "recipes". 

I want to understand the thinking behind the "method" (as best I can).

A "cohesive varnishing story" does  not equal "recipes". 

I want to understand the thinking behind the "method" (as best I can).

yep me too!

i'm also hoping to gain a bit more understanding on application methods. 

Is that what you all want?  Recipes laid out for you all nice and neat with step-by-step instructions?  It won't be that, I'm certain, and it's not that I wouldn't want that, but I think it would be just short of dreadful if everyone in the world could suddenly cook up a batch of Magister.jmo

Why would it be (just short of) dreadful?

Anyone that has a modern secret, as in a "secret recipe" for varnish, is merely (now, this is only my opinion on the matter mind you) guarding their interests in the monetary market, for whatever superiority or ease of handling that their particular product may have. And the product (almost any product) may well be a "superior product". In many ways

Which makes perfect sense from a marketing perspective.

However, I am going to speculate here, that perhaps simply having or getting experience with many products, will result in the same end. Many many varnishes work well, and the only thing really that may separate one from another, could very well be the instructions that come along with the particular product, telling you how to apply it. What to do and what not to do.

I'd be interested to read what Koen Padding had to say about varnishing also.

I'll be honest though, if the book did not have valid recipes for various varnishes and grounds used, I'd be a bit disappointed, and if I knew this ahead of time - I certainly wouldn't buy the book.

I have had enough advice from various makers about HOW to do various things.  At this point in life I know HOW. I would want the recipes.

Period

Then again, that's just me.

There has not yet been any book written on the making of violins which is so "step by step" that it leaves nothing left to ask.  To expect or want that is asking way too much, IMO.  If I recall, no recipes were written down.  What might show up in this book is information gathered from private conversations over the years, which haven't previously shown in the articles. I think someone already said that the book will probably leave us with more questions than answers, but that ain't bad if the questions help to guide us poor seekers.   Direction is valuable.

If I recall, no recipes were written down.

What might show up in this book is information gathered from private conversations over the years, which haven't previously shown in the articles. I think someone already said that the book will probably leave us with more questions than answers, but that ain't bad if the questions help to guide us poor seekers.   Direction is valuable.

Thanks Will.

And you're right direction can be very valuable.

Interest alone in the Author, his views and his philosophy, then, is what we are getting mainly? Such things (the book "The Violin Maker" comes immediately to mind...) can be very well done, extremely interesting, and well worth the read.

If the book is mainly a biography, I would have a mild interest in it,  simply out of curiosity. However, if it offers some practical information and method, I would consider this a valuable addition to my library.

I think I'll wait to see what others that have purchased the book have to say about it.