Maestronet Forums

Hand Carved?

vathek

Cheap does not necessarily mean machine made.  Extremely low labor rates can allow for hand-carved cheapies.

However, I would trust "hand carved" about as much as I would trust "European spruce, aged 15 years".  I suppose if you count the rings and use that for "age", it might be right.

Does anyone know of a competent, reasonably priced, commercial "carving machine" service available for 4/4 cello plates in Midwest U.S.?

I have some good old wood and might be interested.

Also, 

1. Do they generally  have any credible graduation method or ability?

2. Purfling capability also?

Another good opportunity to tell of the great cartoon:

A grandmotherly type in a rocking chair is sitting there knitting.  She is in front of a picture window which oversees a huge factory complex.  Over one of the buildings is a giant sign which says, "GRANDMA'S PIES/ Each pie personally baked by Grandma."

On a wall in front of the rocker are three buttons, respectively labelled "1,000 pies, 10,000 pies, and 30,000 pies."  Yep, each pie personally baked by granny.  Well, each button pushed by her, at least.   :)  

I suppose a Stradivari cartoon could show him with a bottle of glue inside a window, and outside a line of peasants, each with arms-full of different parts; one with scrolls, one with ribs, others with backs and tops, waiting in line for the door to open.  

There could be a clock in the first frame showing "9 am."  Then in the second frame the clock could show "12:30 pm."  And there would be a pile of violins in front of Stradivari, and at the door a line of noblemen waiting to buy.

I buy violins all hand carved from a factory in China for just under $60.00 each.   They are ALL hand made!   They don`t sound to bad the way they are, but I re-graduate them and they work very well.  If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would show you pictures of them being made. 

Anyway," hand made" means nothing to me, until I know what hands made it!    I just want people to know that there are a lot of cheap Chinese violins that are made all by hand.

Larry

....  If I could figure out how to post pictures, I would show you pictures of them being made. 

Larry

You can link to a photo hosting site, such as photobucket...or you can:

Go to Reply and then click on "More Reply Options"

Scroll down to where it says 'Attach Files' and click on Browse.

That will take you to your computer...and you then select the file you want to upload.

Then click on 'Attach this File' and it will add it to your post.

When you are all down with your text and your photo files, click on Add Reply.

• 3 weeks later...

L.D.L.

I have been doing what you have with the cheap Chinese violins. Actually, you can make a pretty nice sounding instrument. Popping the top, re-graduating, finishing, and set up can help those of us who are nearly as experienced (no reference to you) as some on this forum.  The difference in what I have been working on and the violins you are getting is in the inside. For instance, the fiddles I have re-worked look inside like someone to a side grinder to it and left it that way. I have surely learned much through this experience. On my first finish job with spirit varnish, I did not know to make one or no more than two strokes and quit. I thought I could paint like I paint trim on a house.

Basically as a self-taught, I think there is some value in working hands-on with these inexpensive instruments.

Gary

Does anyone know of a competent, reasonably priced, commercial "carving machine" service available for 4/4 cello plates in Midwest U.S.?

I have some good old wood and might be interested.

Also, 

1. Do they generally  have any credible graduation method or ability?

2. Purfling capability also?

I have a friend who carves plates and other parts for several makers. I can vouch for his competence. Not cheap, though, but worth it to some makers who value their time. He does everything from just carving the exterior arch to nearly complete plates with f-holes and purfling channel.  If you are going to go with pre-cut purfling channels, you might have to build an outside mold, because you can't get enough precision on your rib garland with an inside mold. Also, there's a phenomenon called cutter compression that means exterior surfaces have to be scraped to get rid of compressed wood, and I'd think you'd want to do the final graduation yourself.  PM me if you want more info.

There is a very cool book by David Pye called "The Nature and Art of Workmanship".  One concept he uses is workmanship of risk vs workmanship of certainty, workmanship can be seen along this continuum.  Here is a link to a few chapters..definitely worth reading

http://www.arts.ucsb.edu/faculty/reese/classes/artistsbooks/davidpye019.pdf

There is a very cool book by David Pye called "The Nature and Art of Workmanship".  One concept he uses is workmanship of risk vs workmanship of certainty, workmanship can be seen along this continuum.  Here is a link to a few chapters..definitely worth reading

You are the second person I know to have recommended this book. I should read it.

This book arrived today. I am looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike