Maestronet Forums

Keeping Paganini close to your heart...

Rue

And now for something different!  (I think).

Like so many...I am fascinated by the Paganini story...

And so, in my ramblings...I come across this example of a fancy violin, which I also haven't rambled across before...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/381133458338?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

In addition to wondering what it is...if anything 'special'...I am entertained by the seller's description:

Instrument appears to be in visibly worn & used condition with visible deeper scratches, lacquer loss, green grime visible, discoloration, visible dirt and dust inside, wear & dryness and other wear issues as visibly shown in pictures. As shown there ARE visible cracks and dings. ... Case is in heavily worn, damaged used condition- as shown. Both instrument and case do emit a foul musty odor.

Seriously though...it does look like it was heavily played, so I assume it sounds good...which makes me wonder if it truly is anything out of the ordinary...

post-48723-0-82155800-1422193192_thumb.jpg

Common problem. First get a new case. Then clean the outside and throw the strings out. Rice or salt on the inside. Most of the smell will fade away after a good cleaning. But you can usually tell when it's going to rain... A bit of the scent comes back with high humidity.

Set aside the case. Take the violin to an aromatic violin repair shop with a great backlog of repair work and leave it there for a couple of years. Bring the repaired instrument home and put in a cheap new case that's been doused with Violin eau de parfum (from Sound of Cremona, Italy). Insert clothes drier anti-wrinkle sheets part way into the sound holes. After a few weeks, remove drier sheets, add a cheap carbon fiber bow and block of rosin. 

Then, donate the assembly to a local charity auction, and claim as tax write-off value the sum of what you've put into it.

Add potting soil to the discarded case, and plant night-blooming jasmine. Stay up late and listen to Alfredo Campoli's Mozart recordings.