Sign in to follow this  
fiddleharry

Top/bottom plate thickness mesaurement

Very helpful and eminently readable. Like the OS maps I used to use in my youth.

Not exactly. In the old days, the interpolated lines were drawn by experts who understood geomorphology. A computer doesn't understand the nuances of topography or plate graduation, it just runs spatial interpolation calculations.

In the example shown, there are some impossible isolines.

Not exactly. In the old days, the interpolated lines were drawn by experts who understood geomorphology. A computer doesn't understand the nuances of topography or plate graduation, it just runs spatial interpolation calculations.

Well I suppose your right, I was just trying to be nice.

Quite right, a technical difficulty we have not been able to solve completey, but it is actually the exception because in this example the numbes are very close to each other. 

I am including a picture where these crossing isolines don´t really occur. 

Hans    post-31393-0-40808100-1421522286_thumb.png

Out of curiosity ,  are the plotted points of measurement derived by the same laser type of system that my mouse uses ? or another way to ask the question ....doe's the Magic probe "know" where it is on an XY axis that it can assign it's own coordinates.? if so maybe creating more points of measurement would be easy ...for someone , not me . but it seems like a natural  progression. I know the laser mice are very sensitive , if magic probe could be made with a soft ball point roller for the out side contact , could it then be simply rolled over the surface like an oversized ball point pen /laser pointer,and generate a very complete picture?

Quite right, a technical difficulty we have not been able to solve completey, but it is actually the exception because in this example the numbes are very close to each other. 

I am including a picture where these crossing isolines don´t really occur. 

Hans    attachicon.gifexample.png

Much better. :)

I sill think the hypsometric shading tells the story best.