Sign in to follow this  
asovcl

Winter sound posts

The "hot pants" you posted are not leather, they're fake costume hot pants.

I know, but I was having trouble finding a photo with real leather hot pants that was less than 1500 x 2000 pixels, so I punted. :)

You sayin' that photo isn't me?

[Mutters "Lead us not into temptation...." and heads toward another thread]  :lol:  :)

Peter, right now the temperature where I am is the same as in Helsinki, and the outside air is dryer. My shop is at 40%. If it was 30 degrees colder, my shop would still be at 40%.

David,

At 30 degrees colder, and shop humidity still at 40%, how do you avoid condensation and/or ice buildup on your window sills?

Thanks~

David,

At 30 degrees colder, and shop humidity still at 40%, how do you avoid condensation and/or ice buildup on your window sills?

Thanks~

That can be a problem with windows which aren't insulated well, so thanks for bringing it up. On older structures, moisture can also condense inside cold walls, leading to the formation of mold and structural problems. One needs to be careful about pushing the humidity that high in older structures, in very cold climates.

With a 40% indoor humidity, moisture will start to condense on a surface which is 45 degrees F or colder. If that level of moisture reaches the interior surface of an exterior wall which is that cold, you'll start to get liquid water.

...If that level of moisture reaches the interior surface of an exterior wall which is that cold, you'll start to get liquid water.

As opposed to... ;)

( :D )

With a 40% indoor humidity, moisture will start to condense on a surface which is 45 degrees F or colder.

IF your inside temperature is 70º F. At 55º, about what my shop usually is in winter, the dew point is about 32º for 40% RH.

IF your inside temperature is 70º F. At 55º, about what my shop usually is in winter, the dew point is about 32º for 40% RH.

That's a good strategy for keeping the relative humidity up, while lowering the dewpoint.

Lower the temperature.

You nailed it on my figures being based on a 70 degree indoor temperature.

I live in upstate NY and heat my house with an unvented blue flame heater. It puts a huge amount of moisture into the air and am quite comfortable at 60 degrees. My neighbors come in and say how warm it feels, but it is actually all the moisture in the air that makes it seem warmer than it is. My Musafia case hygrometer is not labeled.with a humidity percentage cale, but dry, normal,.and humid. The needle seems to stay in the normal range whether it is January or August.

That can be a problem with windows which aren't insulated well, so thanks for bringing it up. On older structures, moisture can also condense inside cold walls, leading to the formation of mold and structural problems. One needs to be careful about pushing the humidity that high in older structures, in very cold climates.

With a 40% indoor humidity, moisture will start to condense on a surface which is 45 degrees F or colder. If that level of moisture reaches the interior surface of an exterior wall which is that cold, you'll start to get liquid water.

We've got brand new Pella windows, in a circa 1970 house.  At night, we turn the temp down to 61 degrees.  During the recent cold snap, even with the humidifier set lower, e.g., at 30%, we still had ice inside.  How low do we have to go?  55 degrees?  Brr!  But so far, my instruments are okay.

We've got brand new Pella windows, in a circa 1970 house.  At night, we turn the temp down to 61 degrees.  During the recent cold snap, even with the humidifier set lower, e.g., at 30%, we still had ice inside.  How low do we have to go?  55 degrees?  Brr!  But so far, my instruments are okay.

Is the ice on the frame or the glass? Last I knew, Pella window had wood frames, so it might not be good to get moisture buildup on the frames. If it's on the glass, no big deal, unless it melts onto the frames.

Without knowing where you live, and the temperatures, I'm pretty much guessing, but if you have ice buildup, it's highly possible that "30%" on your humidifier bears little resemblance to the actual humidity. After experience with a dozen or so, I totally wouldn't trust the readings on those things.

I'll send you a calibrated hygrometer if you're in the US. Just PM me your shipping address.

I'll send you a calibrated hygrometer if you're in the US. Just PM me your shipping address.

I happen to know Ms. Piaffe personally, so I can confidently tell you she is tres cute.  That said, I'd like to know if you make the same offer to your male clients.  I've never trusted the calibration of those things, even when you pay a (relatively) good amount of money for them.  I'd love a reliable one, even if I had to send you a sour creme coffee cake from Zingerman's as a thank you.  

Is the ice on the frame or the glass? Last I knew, Pella window had wood frames, so it might not be good to get moisture buildup on the frames. If it's on the glass, no big deal, unless it melts onto the frames.

Without knowing where you live, and the temperatures, I'm pretty much guessing, but if you have ice buildup, it's highly possible that "30%" on your humidifier bears little resemblance to the actual humidity. After experience with a dozen or so, I totally wouldn't trust the readings on those things.

Thanks, David.  We have a LaCrosse Technologies "humidistat" that tracks pretty closely with the humidifier.  I suppose they could both be screwy!

Yes, the problem is that the frames are wood and the ice eventually melts onto the frames.  Last week it was below zero with nasty wind chills here - on the west side of Lake Michigan.

I happen to know Ms. Piaffe personally, so I can confidently tell you she is tres cute.  That said, I'd like to know if you make the same offer to your male clients.  I've never trusted the calibration of those things, even when you pay a (relatively) good amount of money for them.  I'd love a reliable one, even if I had to send you a sour creme coffee cake from Zingerman's as a thank you.  

For all I knew,  Piaffe was a dude.

OK, I'll do one more, since you were the OP, then I'm done. Done. Don't anyone else even ask. I'm already out of stock, and back-ordered, and I can't afford to be sendin' out 250 of the danged things. :angry: