Sign in to follow this  
Húslař

Stradivaris viola d ́amore

I want build a copy of Stradivaris viola d ́amore 1727. Can you someone know, where can be find some photos, plan, where is this instrument now (some museum or owner) ? I find only Stradivari sketch in Sacconi book and some photo on http://dipperrestorations.com/the-stradivari-viola-damore/

post-76349-0-09316800-1420796863_thumb.jpg

Have you someone experience with building of this very nice instrument?

Thank to all!

Actually, I'm using the c. 1750 J. U. Eberle in the RAM museum in London as a model for my current viola d'amore project.  I looked at the information on Strad d'amores in Stewart Pollens' book "Stradivari".  Of course, you could visit the Museo in Cremona.

Huslar, 

The remains of a viola d'amore which I think is the 1727 one are pictured in Charles Beares 1987 Stradivari Exhibition catalogue. As far as I know, he owns, that, and he also owns the Lorenzo Storini viola d'amore which is made from the same mould. I suspect that this is what Dipper has used for this. 

I see that Dipper has adapted the pegbox a bit. In fact, the pegbox in the Cite de la Musique originally belongs to the body in the Royal Academy of Music - it's the Kux-Castelbarco which Vuillaume made a new arched back for (and gave a brothers Amati scroll). 

As for the more central-European violas d'amore for which there are Stradivari outlines, I imagine that he had a tremendous interest in other fashions that passed through Cremona with musicians. Paper templates may be evidence of interest, but certainly don't prove that he made them. 

Good luck. 

Actually, I'm using the c. 1750 J. U. Eberle in the RAM museum in London as a model for my current viola d'amore project.  I looked at the information on Strad d'amores in Stewart Pollens' book "Stradivari".  Of course, you could visit the Museo in Cremona.

Thank You!

If you could share information from Pollens book I would be very grateful! In Museo del Violino of Cremona I was, but they have not very much exhibits of Strad violas d'amore - only original sketch as I find in Sacconi, unfortunately  there is no more. :(

I will be very grateful for any new information.

I am still preparing for building of this beautiful instrument. Mould is ready, next month we go to Deutchland buying the wood.

Are You someone in Paris? There in Cite de la Musique is original Stradivaris scroll - can You help me with more detailed photos?

I find only this:

post-76349-0-13448600-1429613989_thumb.jpg

I wish I knew how to play one, even a little bit.  I love the sound.  I suppose the only way to do it is to buy one and jump in.  We had a lovely Galliano VdA at Interlochen when I was there.  It needed 14 new pegs!

DLB

Thank you, Rue and Dwight!

Have you some new informations about the original build by Stradivari?

PS: Now I build also another instruments (3 violins, viola,...) and we have much work with restorations in shop, so building of this will look slowly (but the customer said me, that she can wait - great type of customers for me ;) ).

1 hour ago, Húslař said:

the big progress :D

SDC10160.thumb.JPG.f0101cd8e3cf5958797f00a6d90815ed.JPG

nice  top .

i can see the gap between your post is almost two years . did it take you two years to do the top?  how is the neck and pegbox? 

16 hours ago, rossini said:

nice  top .

i can see the gap between your post is almost two years . did it take you two years to do the top?  how is the neck and pegbox? 

Thanks! Yes is a very big gap - I must stopped work on this beauty instrument, becouse we have so much works on repairs in our workshop... but now I would prefer this viola (scroll is precarved, ribs ready, back almost ready ;)).

2 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

Very nice! Can you tell me what the LOB is please?

:) Excuse me my ignorance of English - but what is "LOB"?

Length Of Body...sorry about that!

I'm building a Perry Sultana next which looks similar in body shape so I would like to know what the length of the body measures. Thanks.