Sign in to follow this  
franciscus

A trunk find (Kofferraumfund): the bow

My neighbor gave me this bow, as his New Year's gift for me:

post-76393-0-65607000-1420574955_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-55535500-1420574974_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-91817700-1420574994_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-13763600-1420575009_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-50619100-1420575027_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-05551400-1420575045_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-96351900-1420575067_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-72469500-1420575082_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-13759400-1420575109_thumb.jpgpost-76393-0-47305600-1420575134_thumb.jpg

He buys used cars in Germany and sells them here in Bosnia. In the last one he bought, he found that bow in the trunk. The bow is very stiff (really very stiff, in comparison to violin bows, but I do not know how stiff one cello bow have to be). I do not see any marks on it. Its weight is 85.2 grams. My knowledge about cello bows is so comprehensive that I scarcely dared to write that it is the cello bow, so I hope that some kind Maestronaut could write a few words about it. I do not know anything about cello bows, so every word would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Franc

No stamp?  Looks like decent bow with kind of an elegant head. Find a cellist to try it out. It might be a good playing stick. Cello bows can be stiff, but like violin bows they need both stiffness and flexibility in the right place. I find violin bows very difficult to evaluate as playing sticks....as I never played violin

Interesting story. Kind of reminds me of all of the stories of genuine Strads coming across the plains in covered wagons...

Your bow is quite modern, quite inexpensive, quite heavy, and quite Chinese in origin. The bow might still play well however, and how it ended up in the trunk of a car is indeed a mystery.

I am guessing that it fell out of a student soft cello case...kids going to recitals or competitions...

Although that is not nearly as exciting as it could be :).

No stamp?  Looks like decent bow with kind of an elegant head. Find a cellist to try it out. It might be a good playing stick. Cello bows can be stiff, but like violin bows they need both stiffness and flexibility in the right place. I find violin bows very difficult to evaluate as playing sticks....as I never played violin

No stamp, at  as far as I can see. There is only some number written on the head plate by graphite pencil. Unfortunately, nobody plays cello here anymore, so I have no one to ask  :(

Looks totally Chinese to me

I had a lot of Chinese (violin) bows in my hands and this one could fit into that category I'd say, but there is a few details uncommon for cheap Chineses that pushed me to start this thread: rectangular screw mortise, pinned nickel rings on the button along with pinned nickel mounting on the frog, rather nicely done thumb leather and decent winding, not a kind of of fancy colored loose thin wire as on most Chineses these days.

I am interested in hearing more about this bow smuggled into Bosnia from Germany via used car trunk. Is there ivory involved?

As far as I know, the problem of ivory on bows still does not exists in Europe, so there was no need for smuggling :)

It's a bow-napping??? Cool!

Or the bow-ambush?

Interesting story. Kind of reminds me of all of the stories of genuine Strads coming across the plains in covered wagons...

Your bow is quite modern, quite inexpensive, quite heavy, and quite Chinese in origin. The bow might still play well however, and how it ended up in the trunk of a car is indeed a mystery.

Just the fact of that someone forgot it tells a lot about its value, I'd say.

I am guessing that it fell out of a student soft cello case...kids going to recitals or competitions...

Although that is not nearly as exciting as it could be :).

That's not exciting at all - the bow was at the bottom of the mesh pocket on the back of backseat, wrapped in the rag of the same color as the seat, so - pretty inconspicuous.

AHAHA did you guys expect a Lamy or Pecatte in a German car?  

Pfffftt....

Maybe in a Peugeot. 

Oh, it was in Subaru. Maybe I have the Japanese one :D

Thank to all for interest and for answers. Cheers, Franc

AHAHA did you guys expect a Lamy or Pecatte in a German car?  

Pfffftt....

Maybe in a Peugeot. 

Now, now, heaven only knows what you might find in a big old Mercedes  ["Honey, what are all these papers with 'sir-tiff-i-kat' or something on them?  All blank but looks like 'Mac' somebody signed them"  :P  :lol: .