Sign in to follow this  
ViolinLove20

Buying from China

Hello all,

I'm curious about your opinions about buying items direct from China. Is eBay a good place to buy from China? Is the process simple/any import or custom fees(USA)? Is it reliable if the seller has many good reviews? And is it even a good idea?

I'm curious because im thinking about purchasing an unfinished Chinese violin off ebay.

Thanks!

Hi, I have been buying violins from China for 14 years now, but I never buy from Ebay.

I`ll give you the name of the small shop I like to deal with the most.   They have about 10 people making violins ,and will make you one violin or more .  What ever you want. You can even send them the plans for any violin and they will make it for you.

The name of the sale person that speaks good English is  Yolanda.    phone number is 86-159-2011-6390

Email is ;  Yolanda200988@live.cn       Or       iloveviolinhouse@gmail.com

They have an ebay store,  But if you want that you can ask Yolanda for it.

Hope that will help you find what you need.

Larry

And - many of the violins that are bought from major music stores (ones that specialize in violins or string instruments) are from China. Violins attributed to certain makers, but which do not say exactly, "Made by X", but for example, "from the shop of X", or some such other label, are, or very well could be, from or made in China. (and will have been bought in "bulk".)

Many times the accouterments, and set up - strings, pegs and fittings etc. will be extras (perhaps even the varnish), that are fit here, "expertly", and the violins will sell - in general, in the low thousands of duckats.

But... you didn't hear that here. I have only reported what I have seen in the world at large.

And so - buying from China either directly, or from a dealer where you may or may not be told where the product is from originally, can be very profitable and workable.

That you must know who you're dealing with, and how to treat the product you get, is a critical aspect of this.

Chinese violins (white of varnished)) got much better last 10-15 years so,but still their quality varies greatly.

I recommend buying it through a shop who buys a lot of Chinese instruments.

You may have to pay a little extra but much safer than dealing with unknown maker/dealer.

KY

PS : There are quite a few good manufacture/makers but you wouldn't know which one unless you buy and sell 

as a business.

PS : There are quite a few good manufacture/makers but you wouldn't know which one unless you buy and sell 

as a business.

Yes, absolutely.

It's not the place to buy and sell, here.

So talk to someone who does... offline.

If you are importing into the US you need to make sure that you have all your Fish and Wildlife import licenses or else your items can be confiscated. For example, you have to have a license if you are importing bows and that have pearl. You could also try and import it them without one but you risk loosing them. I would be careful importing from another country without proper paperwork, and good luck trying to find out what kind and how to get that paperwork. I'm still trying to figure it out so I can import pearl for my bows. Our government doesn't want to make anything easy on us. 

I have purchased 3 violins off eBay from China ( different sellers)...and some bows.  I had no issues.