Maestronet Forums

Conversion of oil stone to waterstone?

TMUC

Could anyone share a method for cleaning ceramic whetstones?  The dishwasher isn't making much headway, someone suggested petro -l which I've found to be useless.

When I was at school the teachers used to beat us relentlessly around the head with camans/hurleys, often until we lost consciousness. Then they would throw us into the lough so we could swim to the barren rocky outcrops we called home. Often they would put whetstones in our pockets and schoolbags- just to make the journey more arduous. Cheap nasty whetstones, no washitas or nortons. That's nuns for you...

Could anyone share a method for cleaning ceramic whetstones?  The dishwasher isn't making much headway, someone suggested petro -l which I've found to be useless.

When I was at school the teachers used to beat us relentlessly around the head with camans/hurleys, often until we lost consciousness. Then they would throw us into the lough so we could swim to the barren rocky outcrops we called home. Often they would put whetstones in our pockets and schoolbags- just to make the journey more arduous. Cheap nasty whetstones, no washitas or nortons. That's nuns for you...

Luxury!

Just to add to the mix.... at one time an apprentice learned to 'just sharpen' for the first six months (basic skill)

Also, one of the best finishing and maintenance stones, that I have found, is a high carbon Mud Rock (the last step before the metamorphous into  Slate) and easily gleaned in Ohio and Pennsylvania. (easy to make usable)

Mud Rock is a different beast!

I use hot water and only need a couple of licks like with a slip stone (when once sharp), which is faster than "cut for 10 min. sharpen for 15 min."

Jim

Edited by seammc

That's rather shocking abuse. Who would treat a caman like that!

I've seen scouring powder mentioned online as a cleaner (Comet/Ajax//Vim/Whatever).

This thread at The Straight Razor Place may be of interest............

http://straightrazorplace.com/hones/115250-auction-site.html#post1416066