Maestronet Forums

Hill Bow Tip Repair options

HullGuitars

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the clarification. I did start to wonder if the face had some kind of coating like polyeurethane - I've seen that before, though I have no idea what the point is.

I'd just be a bit wary of describing the bow as "gold mounted" since the frog isn't original and there's definitely something fishy about the face plate ...

Thanks for the clarification. I did start to wonder if the face had some kind of coating like polyeurethane - I've seen that before, though I have no idea what the point is.

I'd just be a bit wary of describing the bow as "gold mounted" since the frog isn't original and there's definitely something fishy about the face plate ...

I have found two fully lined frogs that match the KT gold of the tip perfectly. They were purchased in the same lot, but I honestly just haven't had time over the past few days to look at them and see how they fit the bow.

• 1 month later...

...I have a cheap cello bow with a broken tip and would like to practice the spline repair...I don't have a lathe to use Josh's circular saw method. I would like to try by hand with a back saw. With a steady hand, is this still a bad idea?

I know it is possible to spline a bow head by cutting the slot with a back saw because I have done it.  But I think using a circular saw is a lot better because the central part of the cut goes in deeper and the ends of the cut don't go in as far.  A circular saw cut can be made without a lathe.  I show my drill press set up in this thread:

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/316831-drill-press-set-up-for-cutting-bow-head-spline-slot/

I think if setup properly a drill press is every bit as accurate as a lathe or horizontal mill.

Here are some photos and links.

There are cheaper options available, as well as more costly. If this is something you will do more than once,... I would spend a bit and get a good setup. Should be able to find a good import "milling vise" as they call them... Under $40. The blades are $10 a set.

As stated.... I purchased two sets of blades so I could stack the same diameter together for a wide enough slot.

Ill post pics of my setup when I get moved into my new shop.

post-42678-0-46348100-1421036771_thumb.jpg

post-42678-0-08965000-1421036880_thumb.png