bow gurus...bow badger or foret?

You dont happen to know what these cost? I can't find them anywhere...

Unfortunately not.

Bergeon seems to have a pricelist on their website, but you have to register  to view it.

http://www.bergeon.ch/telechargement.php?id=380&locat=prices

Or you contact  someone from their sales team: http://www.bergeon.ch/contact.php

I am sorry that I cant' help more.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a very accurate chuck, preferably keyless. 

I bought an old Craftsman lathe headstock on Ebay, intending to make a foret. I need to fit a spindle, and thought I'd fit the best chuck I could find.

I inadvertently bought a second casting, thinking I wouldn't get the headstock. I have fitted a Rohm chuck from my unimat, and it's not bad, but it has a few thou of runout. How much runout would you expect in a tool, say, an inch from the chuck in a good foret?

Can someone tell me why bow boring isn't done in a lathe? It seems to me, admittedly someone who knows next to nothing about bowmaking, that the bow stick could be passed through the headstock spindle and gripped in a four jaw chuck, for instance. Then the drill bit could be held in a drill chuck mounted on the taistock. I only ask this for my own curiosity. Thanks.

Can someone tell me why bow boring isn't done in a lathe? It seems to me, admittedly someone who knows next to nothing about bowmaking, that the bow stick could be passed through the headstock spindle and gripped in a four jaw chuck, for instance. Then the drill bit could be held in a drill chuck mounted on the taistock. I only ask this for my own curiosity. Thanks.

It can be and is done that way by many makers, especially when it comes to bushings. The problem is the drill bit likes to follow the path of least resistance which of then leads to inaccurate drilling.

Can someone tell me why bow boring isn't done in a lathe?...

It can be and is done that way by many makers...The problem is the drill bit likes to follow the path of least resistance which of then leads to inaccurate drilling.

Boring and drilling are actually two different machining operations.  Drilling uses a drill bit, and Kate is correct in saying that drill bits can be deflected.   Boring uses a boring bar, which holds a single-point cutting tool so that it cuts on the inside of a hole.   A hole cannot be started by boring; boring is done in holes that have been previously made by drilling, casting, punching, etc.  In boring, the tool does not follow the path of least resistance.

Because the holes in bows are so small, it's hard to imagine a boring bar small enough to be used in bow work.  But many years ago Arnold Bone showed me some that he made and used.

...That is what the Half Flat bits are for. They drill straight.

If a "half flat" bit is what I'm thinking of, it goes straight because it doesn't drill -- it bores.

Boring and drilling are actually two different machining operations.

I should have been more careful in my choice of terms here. I meant "drilling," though "boring" is often used interchangeably for "drilling" in casual conversation. Thanks for the clarification.