Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Faulk

Karl Haas ~ host of Adventures in Good Music

Did any of you ever listen to this show? I used to and I wish it was broadcast again as podcasts. There are some legal issues preventing it from being distributed. I also ways enjoyed that show. 

Yes, I remember it well and with fond memories.  I would listen if for no other reason than to hear the following, his theme song:

I don't know anything about what happened or what legal problems there are.

Yes, I remember Karl Hass fondly.  I listened to him on an AM station in Detroit when I was a child. I loved his program so much that by the time I was in high school, I was skipping school to listen to him. Then, I started taking notes on the programs, trying to learn as much as possible.  I fell in love with his voice and the theme music.

As a young adult living in Rochester, NY, I saw that he was to perform locally.  I got a ticket and showed up at the venue early.  He was there rehearsing.  Naively, when I had a chance, I spoke to him - told him that I had notes from many of his programs and that he should write a book.  He was very kind, introduced me to his sweet wife, and mentioned gently that he already did have a book published.  I was overjoyed and for years did not realize how naive I was about how well researched and constructed the programs were.  Of course, I bought the book and fondly remember all those hours - 10AM - of listening to his amazing program.  One of my favorite titles was Bach to Bach, Back to Back - two days of Bach goodies.

I am ever in his debt for those blissful hours of music and commentary that were so part of my childhood.  I would give a lot to hear those programs - and his voice - again.

My old college room mate grew up on the street in Cleveland where Karl lived. He would play with his son. He once mentioned that at times when he would appear at the door looking for him, Karl, with his characteristic diction would claim that he is "taking his bawth". My friend had to go home and ask his parents what a "bawth" was.   Silly story but one of those things you never forget

We all miss Karl!

fs

I wanted to listen to the Haas show a few years ago and looked to see if there was an archive that had shows or podcasts. My search at that time brought up an article about the show saying the shows are not publicly available, some copyright issues with the estate etc. It seem a shame such a great show is not open to the public today. I hope someday is it rereleased or given to the Library of Congress to distribute. 

In the mean time I'll check out the Now Sound, sounds cool. I have also been listening to 'Classical Classroom' out of Houston Public Media on NPR stations. That show it pretty good most of the time. it would be good show for high school students I think. The level of complexity varies and some weeks it's not that challenging. Two weeks ago Ken Goldsmith the violinist was a guest and it was one of the best shows. 

My shop is too far from any other buildings to get internet via the WiFi so I have to stock up on podcasts for the day, so Karl Haas' show would be fun to have in podcast form. 

I was always fond of listening to Carl on his radio show Adventures in Good Music, which aired at noontime daily on the local FM radio classical station. It has been ages since I listened to that show. Whenever I hear that Beethoven sonata which was his intro, I always think of him. How time flies by.

I started listening to Adventures in Good Music starting in the 1970's... really enjoyed his style, even when I didn't care for the choice of music. But, I even learned something new from those shows!

Have listened to all of the archive.org programs, but was disappointed that they didn't have the introduction theme music.

We need someone like Karl again... he was the original "pod caster" :)

9 minutes ago, vathek said:

Stephen, is that an me262?

Why yes is it. Good eye!

meanwhile, I loved Karl Haas, especially “Can You Name Him?” Episodes. I have also searched for the show because every episode is timeless. It won’t grow old and is as interesting now as the day it was made.

There are some other shows now. “On the town” covers broadway, “pipe dreams” is a great show about organ music but no one will ever duplicate Haas.

I wonder how he would have been at Baseball play-by-play?

I think his show got me interested in music history and in historic instruments.  He was the president of Interlochen for a time after Joseph Maddy died. WIAA always had his show every day.  He played the Beethoven sonata live for every episode.

DLB

I remember the show well; I listened to it when I had the chance, over a number of years.  I was always amazed at the wide range of themes that Dr. Haas used to connect the various musical selections, and his show titles were a hoot!  I especially loved the monthly "Guess the Composer" programs.  Haas was a man of true creative genius, and it goes without saying that he had an expert knowledge of music.  I'm happy to say that I have a collection of several CDs and a few LPs that he issued over the years.  From time to time they turn up on eBay.

I've talked with many other folks who remember the show.  At one point I ran into someone who claimed to have a recorded collection of old programs.  I wonder about the legality of posting those to archive.org, if there is in fact a reason why they can't be broadcast again.  It would be wonderful to hear them.

the good old days, before npr was financed by the open society institute (george soros) with strings attached and everything was political.  i can't remember if it was karl or another host who was a HUGE fan of wolfgang schneiderhan and every violin record he played was one of his, like clockwork, and it was the only place anybody ever heard of him.  also used to listen to metropolitan opera every sunday morning, recorded live.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:59 AM, vathek said:

Stephen, is that an me262?

As Stephen told me years ago, yes, it's a  Me 262.  I really wish he'd start posting on MN again.

We carried Adventures in Good Music on the commercial classical station in Tulsa, KCMA. The show was syndicated not by NPR, but rather another commercial classical station (of which there were about 56 in the 80's), WCLV in Cleveland--Robert Conrad was the GM. You would need to get the performance rights from the artists/labels to everything played on the program. Probably nothing Karl played was under an actual music copyright.

Just bumping this topic again in 2020.

I have recently read that perhaps as many as 175 of the stations got this show on CD (pre-satellite, I suppose).  Although obviously there were no CDs before ~ 1982.

Even so, there may have been thousands of individual CDs, with various episodes, floating around.  I wonder what happened to all of those.  I would love to find some of them!

I note that there are a few shows on archive.org, although the audio quality is quite disappointing.  Of course the original recordings were not MP3.  If they were recorded off the air (as seems to be the case) they would have been open reel tape, or at least cassette.  I wonder whether anyone has any of those tapes today.  It's possible that I could re-transfer them to MP3 with a better final quality than the files I've heard on archive.org.

Does anybody have any more recent information about this wonderful old program?

Edited by GMPA
added an afterthought