Maestronet Forums

Is this neck attachment common on Mittenwald violins?

Kallie

I have a Mittenwald violin that Im working on, and upon removing the back plate for repairs, I noticed a difference in the way the neck is attached to the neck block. Is this common on Mittenwald violins, or could it have been the work of a repairman who reset the neck at some point?

Here is a photo.

Thank you. :)

post-63555-0-35628200-1414113056_thumb.jpg

I had an 1840 C. F. Hartmann violin that had a mortise-and-tenon joint for the neck, but it was not dovetailed.  Hartmann had been trained in Markneukirchen and came to the United States in 1839.  When I was asking about that violin here a few years ago, Jacob Saunders mentioned that it was a transitional style in Saxony between the one-piece necks and the standard two-piece version, which fits for that early 19th century period.  I didn't know that it was used in Mittenwald, though...

I had an 1840 C. F. Hartmann violin that had a mortise-and-tenon joint for the neck, but it was not dovetailed.  Hartmann had been trained in Markneukirchen and came to the United States in 1839.  When I was asking about that violin here a few years ago, Jacob Saunders mentioned that it was a transitional style in Saxony between the one-piece necks and the standard two-piece version, which fits for that early 19th century period.  I didn't know that it was used in Mittenwald, though...

The violin in question is Mittenwald work. However, the neck and scroll does not seem to match that of Mittenwald, which could mean that the original neck and scroll was definitely replaced, and then set in this specific way by whoever replaced it.

You can see photos of the violin in this post. Violin 2. http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/330898-help-identifying-2-violins-and-a-bow/