Sign in to follow this  
Doug Marples

A 16 1/2" Viola derived from H. Amati

That took effort. Click on your profile. Look for a link to your facebook. Find a link to your website. Go there. Find a link to your facebook. Go there.

But that view of the f hole is worth it. Hot work there. 16 1/2", huh? And Hieronymus Amati? Interesting. That's why i clicked thru. I wanted to see a copy of a viola with his label.

Any reason you enlarged the Amati instead of finding a big viola to copy? Violists like Amatis I guess. There's one great reason haha. Any other reason? Just something different?

Hi N.T., You can just search for "Marples Violins" when you're already on Facebook and you'd be there with a lot less effort.  Sorry.  I make this model in it's original, 16 1/8" size also.  That's an uncut contralto in near original condition so I like the Amati aesthetics that it preserves.  For smaller violists I make 15 3/4" based on the Ex-Primrose Brothers Amati ca 1590 but that instrument has been reduced in size from a much larger original.  As far as labels go, I always use my own.  H. Amati used the "Brothers Amati" style label throughout his career, for many years after Antonio had retired and then died.  The Ex-Primrose provides a deep authentic viola sound at a smaller corpus length.  I really don't care for the outline of the ever-popular Andrea Guarneri viola model and prefer emulating the Amati.  I've also made Brescian models and a late Guadagnini model.

Doug

Beautiful viola, Doug. Those Amati corners are gorgeous, and I'm even more inspired to proceed with the Nicolo Amati violin I'm starting after seeing your work.

Everyone else, go to marplesviolins.com and click the Facebook link for quick access.

Hi N.T., You can just search for "Marples Violins" when you're already on Facebook and you'd be there with a lot less effort. Sorry. I make this model in it's original, 16 1/8" size also. That's an uncut contralto in near original condition so I like the Amati aesthetics that it preserves. For smaller violists I make 15 3/4" based on the Ex-Primrose Brothers Amati ca 1590 but that instrument has been reduced in size from a much larger original. As far as labels go, I always use my own. H. Amati used the "Brothers Amati" style label throughout his career, for many years after Antonio had retired and then died. The Ex-Primrose provides a deep authentic viola sound at a smaller corpus length. I really don't care for the outline of the ever-popular Andrea Guarneri viola model and prefer emulating the Amati. I've also made Brescian models and a late Guadagnini model.

Doug

There is that one H Amati violin at the NMM. Anyway that's what the label says. Rare. And it is not H II supposedly. Ask to see it when you are there again if you haven't...it's in pieces but really awesome. I could also probably find a photo I took of the label. wondered if the one you copied had that same label. I did not mean that I thought you put a label in other than your own.

I have seen your other violas. I like that you don't only make what's popular. Players have to appreciate that.

I checked the H. Amati violin on the NMM website.  To me, if it's genuine, it's Hieronymus son of Andrea, not Hieronymous II, but I'm just a hick out on the plains so my opinion won't carry much weight on such issues!  The f holes look right to me to be Hieronymus of Brothers Amati generation rather than his grandson.  I'm surprised it's not containing the usual Brothers Amati label though.

Pretty neat, huh. I don't know a lot, or anything, but I like looking at what's left of that violin.

Hahaha...hick on the plains. Have we met? Course we have. I don't think you're hickish at all.

Google will find the website for Marples Violins.

Super bit of condescension, but It would be nice if people used the "gallery" forum for the purpose for which it was intended. Then we have all the pretty pics in one place.

Hi Doug

I was watching your facebook.

There is a photo of a viola with the ground applied. What kind of ground do you use?

Congratulation for your work, it looks  very nice and neat.

Regadrs 

Tango

Hi Tango,

That's the Ex-Primrose Amati model viola you noticed.  After sealer (gelatin-alum), tea stain and UV exposure (sun or cabinet depending on the weather) I burnish the wood with equisetum then apply ground varnish.  I use an emulsion ground concocted from stand oil and water with a small amount of water mixable (Winsor-Newton) raw sienna-just a tint of yellow.  For a viola it's approximately 20 ml of oil and 1 ml of water. 

This stuff requires several days, maybe a week of UV exposure to cure before I start with colored varnish (I use shop made balsamic oil varnish for that).

Doug