Sign in to follow this  
Brad H

E String Blues

I am looking for strategies for a violin with a troublesome E string with unpleasant resonances.  None of the notes are particularly pleasant but the worst are the stopped F# and A notes  whose sound makes me wince - it jumps out with a strong piercing resonance and  also has a pinched quality. The open E also has a weird resonance. I have tried different strings (currently have a Kaplan Non-whistling E), moved and adjusted the post, played around with the afterlength but haven't found a cure... The E string stays the same...and sounds horrible.  The rest of the strings sound pretty normal and are pleasant enough for this German factory violin. 

Are there any particular settings for the post to remedy this?  Other ideas?

I forget when I made the bridge but this had been on consignment for a couple years - now back home for a tune-up.  The bridge could probably have used a bit more height above the heart...don't know if that could have an effect. 

Have you tried moving the post towards the center? That should tone down the E and bring up the A.

Have you tried it without the chin rest?

The problem seems to have resolved itself overnight - it sounds fairly mellow and even this morning.  Now I'm not sure which change made the difference but I suspect it was shortening the afterlength and reducing post tension.

Addie and Doug, thanks for the ideas. 

The problem seems to have resolved itself overnight - it sounds fairly mellow and even this morning.  Now I'm not sure which change made the difference but I suspect it was shortening the afterlength and reducing post tension.

Addie and Doug, thanks for the ideas. 

Hey Brad,

How are things?  So perhaps you experienced some change in the weather (humidity)?  Post tension makes sense.  I was thinking you had a improperly fit soundpost.

Cheers,

Joe