Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

What are you working on?


Rue

Recommended Posts

Lusitano:  How did you break your wrist?  And will it heal well?  Do you know?

 

jezzupe: I have great admiration for anyone who can compose.  While I have done a little bit for class or theory work...I can't progress past Twinkle Twinkle type 'tunes'.

 

Stephen:  I will be getting back to scales in a week or two too...in the meantime I have two pieces I am trying to polish before I move forward...and am working on basic arpeggios...finger patterns...to try and have those come easier to me when I play (especially when I need speed).

 

Car accident and carpel tunnel * fancy excuse for the rust I have technique wise because of lack of practice*

 

It will heal "perfectly", my flexibility will need some work though but nothing horrid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • 11 months later...

And here is a hard rock song I just finished, there is a violin in there, you just can't really here it, not supposed to, underlying subliminal noise scape

 

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=211152

 

Not sure how old you are Jezzupe so the following may not be suitable for you if you're not of old school age yet.  Imo, pattern your ideas after Lynch Mob and Slash's Snakepit - forgive their evilness, they mean well musically speaking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

  I decided to make a few sets of pegs while waiting for varnish to cure in the last few days.  I'm wanting to start fitting them to the pegbox's eventually and what is holding me back this morning from opening the door is a mother possum with three babies on her back, under the porch next to the door I need to get into and one baby already in the garage where my work is, making wining noises keeping mama close by.  

  I've already caught two of six babies and moved them a few miles away countryside.  They are big, weaned kitten size so they try biting my gloved hand when picked up by the tail to be put in a trashcan for transfering down the road.

  The dog and two cats here are supervising me.  They're probably thinking "better him than me".  Because the garage leads to all kinds of areas for hiding and I'd rather not shoot or harm them, this could take awhile.  

  Varnish needs another month or two of curing so I guess time is on my side regarding the remaining violin work left to do.............  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 years later...

I am dusting off this old thread...it's been fun to re-read comments! :)

Now that my Xmas recital is over...I  am returning to Kreisler's Midnight Bells!

Pretty piece...and the few bars of double stops are still challenging for me...but I  think I can (finally, fingers crossed) manage them with a little more work!

And? What is everyone else tackling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rue said:

I am dusting off this old thread...it's been fun to re-read comments! :)

Now that my Xmas recital is over...I  am returning to Kreisler's Midnight Bells!

Pretty piece...and the few bars of double stops are still challenging for me...but I  think I can (finally, fingers crossed) manage them with a little more work!

And? What is everyone else tackling?

I have never heard of this piece! Is it available on imslp? I know many of Kriesler's works are not.

I have nothing new I am working on at this moment.  My teacher wants me to revisit a few pieces so I will be dusting off the entire Bruch Cto and Lalo. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just retired and was planning on going to the Adult Chamber Music Camp at Kinhaven...  But both of my daughters decided to get engaged over the last couple of months.....  So father of the brides I will be.  My former teacher and good friend Sabrina will have her quartet (Atlys) play for my eldest daughter's wedding.  Daughter number two will have a smaller destination wedding with a big midwestern barn party later.....  how did all of this happen seemingly overnight.

 

As far as current work,  I do about 30-45 minutes on tone production, scales, arps and Kreutzer.  After that I've been rotating 2 of the 3 things below.

 

Beethoven F major Spring Sonata

Solo Bach BWV 1005

Some Orchestral Excerpts for Community orchestra Audition

 

I'm biting the bullet and am planning on a lot more ensemble playing next year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, smf said:

I just retired and was planning on going to the Adult Chamber Music Camp at Kinhaven...  But both of my daughters decided to get engaged over the last couple of months.....  So father of the brides I will be.  My former teacher and good friend Sabrina will have her quartet (Atlys) play for my eldest daughter's wedding.  Daughter number two will have a smaller destination wedding with a big midwestern barn party later.....  how did all of this happen seemingly overnight.

 

As far as current work,  I do about 30-45 minutes on tone production, scales, arps and Kreutzer.  After that I've been rotating 2 of the 3 things below.

 

Beethoven F major Spring Sonata

Solo Bach BWV 1005

Some Orchestral Excerpts for Community orchestra Audition

 

I'm biting the bullet and am planning on a lot more ensemble playing next year

Nice! Seems like you are dialed in and know exactly what to do!

Good luck and many blessings to both daughters' weddings!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

Nice! Seems like you are dialed in and know exactly what to do!

Good luck and many blessings to both daughters' weddings!

I have great daughters !  I'm a lucky guy...  its just coming at me a little fast.  That's OK

 

Sabrina got me dialed in.  I have a new teacher now and he's helping me quite a bit, But Sabrina took the time to really work on releasing tension and fundamentals.  Her husband was offered an Assistant Professor/Conducting job at Vanderbuilt and they left in August.  Both come back to play in the midwest and stay with us from time to time.  We play music and cook together.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tend to lean towards the encore solo pieces, like Midnight Bells.

And I'm a big Kreisler fan! :wub:

There are a few other pieces that I would love to get proficient at...but there isn't one that really stands out...more like a group of them.

(Another example is the solo from The Violin Maker of Cremona (Hubay)).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rue said:

I tend to lean towards the encore solo pieces, like Midnight Bells.

And I'm a big Kreisler fan! :wub:

There are a few other pieces that I would love to get proficient at...but there isn't one that really stands out...more like a group of them.

(Another example is the solo from The Violin Maker of Cremona (Hubay).

Rue, check out the Carmen Fantasy by Drdla.  It is much, much easier on the fingers and bow arm than the Sarasate or Waxman while still sounding impressive.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently practicing Fratres by Arvo Pärt (the viola/piano version).  It's starting to get good.  Maybe I'll record it.

There are a few technical challenges I'm ironing out.  In the first section, the consistency of the bow stroke, the speed, and the intonation are all tricky.  But when it's perfect or even close, the tintinnabulation is spiritual in the way Pärt intended.

And then there's a harmonic double-stop at the 6th partial that's hard to locate because the harmonics are so close together at that point.  It's an amazing sound.  So quiet.

There's a double-stop section that I was practicing last week that's solid now.  This week has been about smoothing out the chords that follow.  That has been about relaxing into them even though they feel big.  They splat when I overplay them.

Oh yeah... also Saint-Saëns 'Organ' Symphony and Ravel La Valse and assorted Christmas pops stuff and the Beethoven String Trio in c and Schubert Cello Quintet.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Stephen Fine said:

Currently practicing Fratres by Arvo Pärt (the viola/piano version).  It's starting to get good.  Maybe I'll record it.

There are a few technical challenges I'm ironing out.  In the first section, the consistency of the bow stroke, the speed, and the intonation are all tricky.  But when it's perfect or even close, the tintinnabulation is spiritual in the way Pärt intended.

And then there's a harmonic double-stop at the 6th partial that's hard to locate because the harmonics are so close together at that point.  It's an amazing sound.  So quiet.

There's a double-stop section that I was practicing last week that's solid now.  This week has been about smoothing out the chords that follow.  That has been about relaxing into them even though they feel big.  They splat when I overplay them.

Oh yeah... also Saint-Saëns 'Organ' Symphony and Ravel La Valse and assorted Christmas pops stuff and the Beethoven String Trio in c and Schubert Cello Quintet.

 

OMG, the Organ Symphony! So hauntingly beautiful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, Stephen - you have a lot going on! Fratres is a great piece - if you do record it, I look forward to hearing it on viola!

My current workload involves a quartet recital coming up in January with Pisachi (Reveal) by Jarod Tate, and then the grand ol' Op. 59 #3. I've always wanted to play this quartet but so far have only read it with friends. It has its challenges!

Following that doing some SQ with rock band collaboration, then playing Dvorak 7th with the San Juan Symphony in February. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

...and...back at it! ^_^

I have fallen off the wagon a bit, albeit not completely...but enough that I'm rusty (on all fronts!). 

I did perform in my spring recital...but it wasn't as good as I would have liked...:rolleyes:

So...I am going to work on Paul Wachs Air de Ballet for a bit! I am surprised it isn't a bit more popular. It's cute!

It's not difficult...but my spicatto needs a lot of work, so it's a good exercise for that.

What does everyone else currently have on the go?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rue said:

...and...back at it! ^_^

I have fallen off the wagon a bit, albeit not completely...but enough that I'm rusty (on all fronts!). 

I did perform in my spring recital...but it wasn't as good as I would have liked...:rolleyes:

So...I am going to work on Paul Wachs Air de Ballet for a bit! I am surprised it isn't a bit more popular. It's cute!

It's not difficult...but my spicatto needs a lot of work, so it's a good exercise for that.

What does everyone else currently have on the go?

Recitals and performances rarely go as one "would have liked."  The important thing is that you did it and learned something from it.  HUGE CONGRATS Rue!

I am working on the Mendelssohn Vln Cto in e minor, all three movements, and a tone of etude and scale work.  As a part-time musician, I feel like I am revitalizing my love of music and its eating into my real job. LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing like having something you love doing...to keep you from the necessary evils! ^_^

A very ambitious concerto!  In comparison, it makes my little piece look like, well...a little piece!!! :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...