Maestronet Forums

Let's see your work/studio space!

Rue

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some really neat workshops.  I can never maintain mine.  Violin garland in the back, pochette plates mid-bench, varnish/finish testing in front.  

And I can see you've got, 'the mug with a handle', filled with various tools also...

What's up with this? Has this become a luthiers trade mark of sorts?

I posted a photo of my messy shop earlier, and that got me motivated to do some cleanup.  This is what my 210 square foot 1-car garage workshop looks like after cleaning:

post-25192-0-10738300-1404918196_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's actual shavings on the floor... I started scraping the outside arching of the back of my small viola.

There's also a bench in the 2-car garage, where I have a lathe and mini milling machine.  This if from 6 years ago, but it's not much different today.

post-25192-0-77258500-1404918201_thumb.jpg

And I can see you've got, 'the mug with a handle', filled with various tools also...

Similar reason to Cliff's -- good memories as well as being handy.  The mug is from Williamsburg, VA.  Went there in 1997 for the VSA convention and enjoyed my visit.  Turned out the mug just sat in my kitchen cabinet, mostly unused, so I used it to replace the soup can that had previously been holding my brushes, pencils, and such.

Kinda like the MN secret handshake, eh?

Why does everyone else have such good dumpster diving opportunities?! I'm jealous...

Not quite dumpster diving (which I have done), but the two 3' x 5' desks were purchased from a non-profit group in Baltimore (http://www.secondchanceinc.org/) for $60 ea.  That's cheap compared to the long work bench I was planning on building to hold machinery and whatnots.  Lots of opportunities out there if you actively look for them. :)

Very cool Jim... Who's living in the terrarium?

That's Vinney! She's a 5+ foot long black rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta).  I found her in a wine store (get it, vino - Vinney) in 2004, and thought it would be a good idea to teach my son (4 at the time) to handle snakes and not be afraid of critters.  That part worked well.  However, I didn't realize they can live 20 years in captivity.   <_<   We've learned about rabbit pee from Rodger, I wonder how snake pee will work.  :lol:

Really nice to see all these cool workshops.

Thanks CT and Berl !! We lucked out, was in Germany looking for boats through the net in Croatia, Italy, Sweeden, France etc. than I searched for boats by my all time fav designer Chuck Paine, knowing I could ever afford one, lucked out, the boat he designed for his father in law in the US, since then he has become a good friend and the boat is way better than I ever expected, and faster, much faster.

Rue, F holes in a boat…never made one..I imagine if there is a rougher sea at anchorage you may get a very creative f hole.

Thanks Stephen, yes lots of sanding, she is a very stable, very stiff and dry boat, what we need to live comfortably anchored in wilderness. Any cool picts of your surroundings or village? I love the Japanese sea and villages.

Mike, still not sure, plan for now is South to Bermudas and to the Azores… than? Our plans change easily and we go slowly, so we avoid the seas that Chuck has painted below, for that you need to wait till nature allows, as you know much better than I. When I have to, I prefer passaging with my pajamas eating pasta.

Do tell me when you're planning to sail for the Azores, I'll show you around :)

That's Vinney! She's a 5+ foot long black rat snake (Elaphe obsoleta obsoleta).  I found her in a wine store (get it, vino - Vinney) in 2004, and thought it would be a good idea to teach my son (4 at the time) to handle snakes and not be afraid of critters.  That part worked well.  However, I didn't realize they can live 20 years in captivity.   <_<   We've learned about rabbit pee from Rodger, I wonder how snake pee will work.  :lol:

Oh - cool.

I have caught a couple of five foot (which seems to be the grown size pretty much) gopher snakes here in New Mexico myself. One was tame the very second I picked her up, and the other one never stopped trying to bite and get away...

Yes, I'll admit to a weakness for snakes.

Black rat snake... I almost caught a black racer up in the desert museum (about 100 miles away from my house) recently. aren't black racers closely related to black rat snakes? I don't think I've ever seen a black rat snake. I do know that they can get fairly large. Yeah, snakes make cool pets...

Oh - cool.

I have caught a couple of five foot (which seems to be the grown size pretty much) gopher snakes here in New Mexico myself. One was tame the very second I picked her up, and the other one never stopped trying to bite and get away...

Yes, I'll admit to a weakness for snakes.

Black rat snake... I almost caught a black racer up in the desert museum (about 100 miles away from my house) recently. aren't black racers closely related to black rat snakes? I don't think I've ever seen a black rat snake. I do know that they can get fairly large. Yeah, snakes make cool pets...

Well they look alot alike and their both constrictors but their not closely related.  Black rats are closely related to corn snakes.  Behavior wise (IME), black rats are pretty docile.  I've moved plenty of wild black rat snakes away from road ways, and one from a goose aviary with a goose egg bulge in it's mid section. ;)   None of them were aggressive, at least by my standards.  Racers on the other hand never seem to get tame.  Still beautiful, but not fun to handle.

Might as well LOL

My current "workshop", the clean end of it anyway LOL

attachicon.gif310808_249267988450554_1508635763_n.jpg

What's on my "bench"

attachicon.gif315748_249243731786313_517674088_n.jpg

attachicon.gif291134_249285298448823_1809363920_o.jpg

and what's on the wait list LOL 

attachicon.gif313090_249244131786273_1668813729_n.jpg

attachicon.gif291110_265914096785943_1436572619_o.jpg

Cool! Is that an axolotl?

We had to euthanize my snake about a month ago...Vietnamese Blue Beauty...I have to admit I rather miss Her Royal Crabbiness...

If we are posting work-work benches...This is the view from my bench at the field site. I have a new phone...so let's if I can upload a picture from it..

post-48723-0-20471200-1404932792_thumb.jpg

I like the panorama view! I keep forgetting I have that option on my newer camera as well...I should give it a try (er, after I finish with my tidy-up)...

I use mugs all the time to hold pencils and art supplies... :)

Yep, the panorama is amazing!The panorama shots look great on my phone but I can't seem to get them to attach as a file to the forum. They won't predictably be right side up, I must have spent 2 hours trying different ways. I settled for sideways instead of upside down. Grrr!