Maestronet Forums

Let's see your work/studio space!

Rue

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my little daylight basement shop. It's about 250sq ft and I use every nook and cranny for something. One of my hobbies is restoring old machines so all of the freestanding power tools are from before 1946. I've spent a lot of time working on them but it is worth it for the quality and design.

One of my favorites is the '42 drill press which has a foot pedal that lowers the quill. It's especially handy when drilling graduation holes in cellos so that I can have two hands holding the plate.

Michael

Nice.  I saw that early 40's cast-iron Delta bandsaw right off,  even before I read the description!  I have been looking for one of those for 20 yrs, what a score !  What is the manufacture/brand  name of the sweet drill press?

Nice. I saw that early 40's cast-iron Delta bandsaw right off, even before I read the description! I have been looking for one of those for 20 yrs, what a score ! What is the manufacture/brand name of the sweet drill press?

It's a 17" Delta from 1942. I'm kind of a Delta nerd. :)

The bandsaw with the cast iron base was definitely a score. I happened to be first to see it on Craigslist and I called immediately.

Still waiting to hear about that mystery tool. :/

That is a purfling-binding channel cutting tool. I made , I have pictures some where....gimme a minute.  I though it was hokey and ill made but I showed it to few friends who said it was thrown together fast, but a good design. Never bothered to make a cleaned up version. 

That is a purfling-binding channel cutting tool. I made , I have pictures some where....gimme a minute.  I though it was hokey and ill made but I showed it to few friends who said it was thrown together fast, but a good design. Never bothered to make a cleaned up version.

Ooh thanks..visually it's fun, I just can't tell exactly how it works. Close ups would be great! Is it pretty simple to use? I can't see the depth stop. I had wondered if that's what it was though, owing to the blade that's just visible on one end and the shape. Object identification, yessss! I'll learn eventually.

Thanks,  and,  the irony of the question does not allude me,  asked by someone who's name is "not telling" !    ^_^

Speaking of alluding...I'm nobody! Who are you?

Haha really, I'm very anonymous, even if I did post as me. I like your shop, that's all. The layout is understated, a well-appointed work space with everything necessary in its place. I don't think you're Alf but you're definitely someone with good taste who likes to work. .

Here's my new shop/practice room.  We just moved to this house last November so my shop doesn't have that lived in look yet.  This is an underground basement with no windows.  My last shop had a beautiful window and the two work benches in the same configuration the're in now.  Except that all four walls were within arms reach.   Since I usually work at night I don't miss the window and I really like the extra space.  

-Jim

post-58064-0-49993300-1404772639_thumb.jpgpost-58064-0-09187500-1404772619_thumb.jpg

Some pictures of my little shop. It's always a mess.

Nice old radio on the shelf. Is that a Grundig? Is there much to listen to on shortwave in Europe anymore? Here in North America there's mostly radio evangelists, Radio Havana Cuba, occasionally Australia and Radio Taiwan.

Nice old radio on the shelf. Is that a Grundig? Is there much to listen to on shortwave in Europe anymore? Here in North America there's mostly radio evangelists, Radio Havana Cuba, occasionally Australia and Radio Taiwan.

It's an old Weimar. It runs on the same tubes used in guitar amps. Here in Holland there is enough to listen on the shortwave (+- 15 stations). But I mostly listen to cd's with audiobooks (see the little stash under the shelf with tapedispenser) or lectures (about nearly everything) on my IPod.