MacDonald Strad Viola

The MacDonald Strad has not found a buyer. No real surprise there in my humble opinion !

It could be a combination of factors.  People who buy these ultraexpensive instruments almost always are doing it for investment.  If the price is so high, the investment value might not be there.  The fact that Strad violas seem not to be well regarded as playing instruments by many violists would further dampen enthusiasm for such a high price.

Actually, these days the ultra-expensive instruments are bought up by national cultural organizations with very deep pockets.  There are precious few musicians who can afford to buy a Strad, (and even some of them who can afford it, don't!) but if they're good enough, win enough competitions, can bring enough cultural prestige to their homelands, etc., their native governments will often step in to help.  Plus, as a seller, it's a lot easier to negotiate down than the other way.

The value of anything is whatever a willing and able buyer and a seller can agree on.  In my judgement, it's far too early to decide the instrument is over-priced.

One factor is because I'm terrible at picking Mega Million numbers. I thought it would sell, simply because the opportunities to buy a Strad viola are extremely rare.  There can only be a few in private hands, and there is no telling when they may be offered publically, if at all. If you are a collector and want to assemble a quartet of Strads, this may be the last chance-ever, or at least until western civilization collapses.

I believe it last sold for an extremely high price relative to  Strad violins etc., and it will still probably make a record price for a string instrument. 

If you are a collector and want to assemble a quartet of Strads, this may be the last chance-ever, or at least until western civilization collapses.

There's your explanation, they decided to sharpen their swords and wait a week or two............  :lol:

I think that's a bit unfair!

Tarisio's business is auctioning string instruments, and in fact their commission on high value items is unusually modest. No-one is coerced into consigning anything to them.

Besides, Jason's suits are so sharp, I don't think he could fit much cash into the linings ....

Actually, these days the ultra-expensive instruments are bought up by national cultural organizations with very deep pockets.  There are precious few musicians who can afford to buy a Strad, (and even some of them who can afford it, don't!) but if they're good enough, win enough competitions, can bring enough cultural prestige to their homelands, etc., their native governments will often step in to help.  Plus, as a seller, it's a lot easier to negotiate down than the other way.

The value of anything is whatever a willing and able buyer and a seller can agree on.  In my judgement, it's far too early to decide the instrument is over-priced.

As a piece of art by someone as prominent as Mr. S it MAY be worth the price asked if it's purpose is to remain in a museum a la Messiah. As an instrument which is to be played I would state "HELL NO". Just to think that every time you turn a peg or walk with the instrument in a case the velvet/fabric rubs off about 100 dollars of varnish per shake and 500 dollars worth of wood in the pegbox with each turn. There is a limit to everything when considering pricing even more when considering that the violinist's mentalities are changing when it comes to valuing instruments (PRAISE THE VIOLIN GODS!). We might just be seeing the Strad bubble bursting :)

There's your explanation, they decided to sharpen their swords and wait a week or two............  :lol:

I imagined them more into machine guns inside of old Roth cases. When did they decided to go medieval? 

I think that's a bit unfair!

Tarisio's business is auctioning string instruments, and in fact their commission on high value items is unusually modest. No-one is coerced into consigning anything to them.

Besides, Jason's suits are so sharp, I don't think he could fit much cash into the linings ....

Maybe not in the suit... Has anyone checked his shoes? Regardless if he likes the orthopedic benefits of walking on Benjamins, a plastic card could hold vaults of gold in nothing more than 1.5 millimeters :)

If you consider that some French Impressionists long ago surpassed $50,000,000 (thank you, Japan Inc....) and that there are only half a dozen Stradivarius violas extant, I'd make the case that the seller may be impatient.  After all, you can make a career with a Strad (yes, even a viola), whereas art only hangs on a wall to impress your friends and business associates.  In fact, a whole lot of it doesn't even look pretty!

"Q: What do you call the world’s most valuable musical instrument if nobody wants it? A: A viola." - Vernon Silver, Bloomberg

smh

My thoughts exactly. I just find the entire situation curious to say the least and I really don't understand the shock people have around the fact 2 strads did not sell.... I honestly do hope the bubble has ruptured :)

If you consider that some French Impressionists long ago surpassed $50,000,000 (thank you, Japan Inc....) and that there are only half a dozen Stradivarius violas extant, I'd make the case that the seller may be impatient.  After all, you can make a career with a Strad (yes, even a viola), whereas art only hangs on a wall to impress your friends and business associates.  In fact, a whole lot of it doesn't even look pretty!

You can't compare this. Many people like French Impressionists in museums. Nobody - except a few like me - would walk into he Ashmolean for the Messiah. Even string quartets have a comparably small audience.

In this case the Schidlof family (this must be his grand children by now) set the stakes too high. This risk was obvious and Sotheby's must have known this. I am sure they have a plan B.

^^^ As I said earlier, a seller  can always negotiate down.  This should be obvious, and if you don't believe me, ask any car salesman.  There are a helluva lot fewer Strad violas than violins, and anyway, the price of anything is what a willing and able buyer and a seller can agree on.  Maybe someone has a few minutes to research the condition and size of the instrument? 

EDIT: the Strad says it's golden period without a single crack. 

I wouldn't want to travel with this viola after paying $45 million for it. The airlines would still insist that it be "Thrown" in the hold with all the other luggage !

45 million in less than a foot of 300 years old wood that happens to be under a lot of pressure... In all seriousness there comes a point where the instrument is too valuable to be put to use, it's like having a davinci portrait under your chin... Just the prospect of skin against 45 m dollar with of wood makes my skin crawl...

How about $55m worth of stone?

mouawad-incomparable-big_zps8a40c7e8.png

http://www.mouawad.com/about/awards/incomparable/

Big difference, it's not under pressure and is made of stones who just happen to be extremely resistant (the most natural resistant in fact). It doesn't go through battles like violins do either and if a clasp does break, it can be soldered back to perfection <3

Now if you bought the MC viola AND threw in this piece of work, put them in a box and gave me them as presents, I would promise to use 10% of the funds to produce in depth studies via MRI and el spec on as many cremonese violins as possible. I should also mention I would start heavily funding pernambuco conservation and macassar ebony forestation efforts AND I would finally be able to start my own atelier :)