Sign in to follow this  
tartarane

in urbae - cremona- remy

Hello

I just fitted up a violin  branded "in urbae cremona remy",( triangle ) inside on the back and not à la ville de Cremone like it usually is.

It ist a typical violin from Mirecourt ( bodylenght 36.3, stoplength 19.2 aso)

no problem with its origin quite well made

I was just wondering if somebody knew when (the period of time ) these instruments were branded "in urbae cremona remy"

and may be if somebody had an idea who was working there then.

thank you in advance for your time

tartarane

Hello

thank you

that IS  a Remy violin, Mirecourt

time between 1800 and 1880

I would like to narrow down the time factor as one would/should be able to find out when the stamp was used.

I think it was not during a very long period, the factory having changed hands many times

it has been said that the violins from the son, made in Paris are slightly undersized.

this one is a typical work from Mirecourt .

Pictures from the stamp are difficult because the violin is closed and the stamp not that dark

Regards

tartarane

Pictures from the stamp are difficult because the violin is closed and the stamp not that dark

Pictures of the violin would be more useful to determine the period.1800 Mirecourt don't tend to look like 1880

Really - not any of these?

REMY Nicolas, REMY Claude le vieux, REMY Claude, REMY Pierre, REMY Dominique, REMY Mathurin François, REMY Claude le jeune, REMY Charles François, REMY François, REMY Jean Mathurin, REMY Jean-Baptiste François, REMY Nicolas, REMY Jean-Baptiste Augustin, REMY Claude, REMY Nicolas Michel, REMY Jean Michel, REMY Jean Nicolas, REMY Jules Hippolyte, REMY Georges Félix, REMY François, REMY Nestor Marie, REMY Auguste, REMY Georges Lucien, REMY Claude, REMY Catherine Victoire, REMY François Frédérique, REMY Théophile, REMY Edmond Félix, REMY Jules, REMY Charles Emile, REMY Jules François, REMY Charles Emile Eugène, REMY Georges Auguste, REMY Emile Jean-Baptiste, REMY Camille Joseph, REMY Charles, REMY Thérèse, REMY Marcel Eugène Auguste, REMY Marie Albert Camille, REMY André, REMY Marie Jules André, REMY Marie Appoline, REMY Stéphane Armand.

According to Rene Vannes, Dictionnaire Universel des Luthiers, and other sources, including Tarisio and Amati auction houses, Jules Remy branded the inside of his violins in a triangle, In Urbe Cremoniae Remy. I'll leave it at that.

2 hours ago, luthier said:

According to Rene Vannes, Dictionnaire Universel des Luthiers, and other sources, including Tarisio and Amati auction houses, Jules Remy branded the inside of his violins in a triangle, In Urbe Cremoniae Remy. I'll leave it at that.

I think the Tarisio and Amati clickbait is just pilfered from Vannes.