Sign in to follow this  
Kallie

Is this the usual?

Hi again,

Is this again the usual? It seems to have been sanded down with sandpaper and revarnished, but the corners and purfling on the front seems... different..  from what I usually see. Reminds me of a Klingenthal violin Ive seen a while back. However I could be totally wrong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Violin-4-4-Antique-/231254531465?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item35d7d81d89

Thanks.

Oo-oo, I want to try!   The scroll fluting goes to 6 o'clock, the "black" part of the purfling is gray, and the corners look rasped off...and I had one like it at one point, down to the sanded-off varnish (why would someone do that?), so I would vote for "the usual"...Too bad about the sanded off varnish--that messed up the violin I had, making the top thin in places.  Anyway, we will await the folks who actually know this stuff...

Cheers, Paul

Better than average original quality, somewhat abused, but "the usual".  The seller says as much.  I like the arching.  Nothing wrong with the price if all is as billed.  Note the seller's location, BTW, and the no shipping to U.S..  Jacob and Martin, you gentlemen around?

Thank you both. A possibly controversial question: Would it be a "crime" to revarnish an already revanished violin, such as this? Im not planning on buying this and doing it, but would like to know for interest sake. If it was revarnished well, in the first place, it wouldnt be necessary. But this does look pretty horrible due to the underneath scratches and sanding marks.

Thank you both. A possibly controversial question: Would it be a "crime" to revarnish an already revanished violin, such as this? Im not planning on buying this and doing it, but would like to know for interest sake. If it was revarnished well, in the first place, it wouldnt be necessary. But this does look pretty horrible due to the underneath scratches and sanding marks.

IMHO, on something like this it isn't an issue if done well.  Some I see, the already badly messed with or promising Chinese in need of recarving for tone with glacier-thick awful varnish to start with, etc. absolutely demand it.  Just do it so it looks original and professionally done.

On anything with lingering historical value, of course, it's vandalism.

IMHO, on something like this it isn't an issue if done well.  Some I see, the already badly messed with or promising Chinese in need of recarving for tone with glacier-thick awful varnish to start with, etc. absolutely demand it.  Just do it so it looks original and professionally done.

On anything with lingering historical value, of course, it's vandalism.

Would you care to translate the above into English please?

The violin (Usual) appears to more have had some varnish washed off, and polish applied, rather than having been “re-varnished”. The only sane procedure is surely to leave it alone. You will still (for instance) have all the screwdriver jabs etc. whatever you do. It will need the belly removing and a fairly extensive rib repair doing. Not a commercial proposition.

Would you care to translate the above into English please?

If a cheap, unattributable, fiddle has been previously stripped/sanded down to bare wood, or if your renovations involve recarving the outer surfaces, feel free to revarnish if you can do a good job of it.  Don't do this on anything with a commercially or academically valuable provenanance.  Verstehen Sie jetzt?  :P  :lol:

Violadamore, on 10 Jun 2014 - 3:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Verstehen Sie jetzt?  :P  :lol:

Ansatzweise. Should you have nothing better to do (N.B. 3x „if“)

Once I thought, reading and writing here could be a good way to improve my (violin related) english; in between I learned a lot of invective language. :angry::ph34r:

Maybe we could teach some german phrasing to the international public (preferably the first)?

Wäre einen Versuch wert!

I get more German exposure on MN than I do while in Germany. All they do there is speak English...

Violadamore, on 10 Jun 2014 - 3:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Once I thought, reading and writing here could be a good way to improve my (violin related) english; in between I learned a lot of invective language. :angry::ph34r:

Maybe we could teach some german phrasing to the international public (preferably the first)?

Wäre einen Versuch wert!

Yup, we have had a number of native speakers of invective on this forum  :lol: 

A lot of references on violin related matters are in German, and much of it puzzles translation programs frequently.  One example I've noticed is that some of them can't sort out du and Sie distinctions and such, particularly in elliptic phrases.  Sure it's worth trying, but I wouldn't want to annoy Jeffery by posting idiomatic stuff he can't read if he has any concerns about it.

One example I've noticed is that some of them can't sort out du and Sie distinctions

Yes, you (du) adressed me with “Sie” in post #7, which is probably more than I deserve :)

...speaking of which...I just listened to a discussion on pronounciation;

Two examples were Nike (Nyk-ee) and Porche (Porsh-a)...

Now, I swear that we say Porsh-eh...

...is my ethnic German group saying it with an off-accent?

Yes, you (du) adressed me with “Sie” in post #7, which is probably more than I deserve :)

True, but appropriate under the circumstances  :)  :P  :lol:   Some might have seen the other as intentionally rude rather than friendly..

...speaking of which...I just listened to a discussion on pronounciation;

Two examples were Nike (Nyk-ee) and Porche (Porsh-a)...

Now, I swear that we say Porsh-eh...

...is my ethnic German group saying it with an off-accent?

When I heard the first time Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz"  I was wondering a while. about what kind of cheese she sang in the second line (my friends all drive......)

Usually we say Pórrr-shä, but there are many different dialects, it's no wonder, if a bavarian "high"-lander and a saxon "low" lander are using english for a better understanding.

My favourite (local) phrasing about Du and Sie is

"Du kannst mal Sie zu mich sagen. "

LOL...

...speaking of accents...I love hearing the non-native English speakers at work talking business with each other.  Since English is their only common language...they have no choice, but for most of them spoken English is often quite uncomfortable...and very few speak it truly fluently...

Makes for some truly interesting interpretations...and the other cool thing is that at the end of the day...the work still gets done (properly I hope!)...

This reminds me of when I was in Canada 20 years ago.It was amusing trying to order a pizza.They did not understand the word "Tomato",even when I pronounced it the American way as well as English ! Highly amusing at the time.