Strings above cello fingerboard end

I cut my first bridge too low and also had a hard time playing on the D string without hitting the A of G.  The new bridge is too high.  I have 7mm under the A and 8.5mm under the D and G.  Depending on how I measure the C it is 9mm perpendicular to the flat of the fb or 11mm straight up and down.  How is the C height supposed to be measured and what are the accepted heights for the 4 strings?  With the strings as high as they are playing on the D is not bad in the lower positions, but impossible farther up the fb, when the D is depressed and the high A and G are not.

Strobel's Book (Useful Measurements for Violin Makers) has string-fingerboard clearances listed for a 4/4 cello as:

String 1 "A"            5.5 mm (Gut)

4.0 mm (Steel)

String 4 "C"           8.0 mm (Gut)

6.5 mm (Steel)

The clearance is measure in the direction it moves when you are pressing down on the strings so that would be perpendicular to the curvature f the fingerboard.  He also has a tetmplate in there foor fingerboard curvatures which will help keep you from hittin adjacent strings when playing them.  I'll post a couple pics which should help shortly.  But you should get the book.  I keep the measurements posted on the wall above my bench.

Joe

Here there are!

post-43707-0-02976600-1400949517_thumb.jpgpost-43707-0-32494300-1400949518_thumb.jpg

The measurements in the Wake book will be to low for a large majority of customers. As a general rule, I make 6mm distance between the A string and the fingerboard (at the bridge end) and 8mm between C string and fingerboard. Remember that making a bridge lower, is a lot lot lot less of a bother, than having to carve a compleatly new bridge because one has made the initial one too low.

The problem of fowling the A and G string whilst in 4th. position on the D string, will be because the crosswise form (curvature) of the fingerboard doesn’t corrispond to the curvature of the bridge (is flater) The standard crosswise radius of the bridge/fingerboard would be about 43mm if I remember right.

The measurements in the Wake book will be to low for a large majority of customers. As a general rule, I make 6mm distance between the A string and the fingerboard (at the bridge end) and 8mm between C string and fingerboard. Remember that making a bridge lower, is a lot lot lot less of a bother, than having to carve a compleatly new bridge because one has made the initial one too low.

The problem of fowling the A and G string whilst in 4th. position on the D string, will be because the crosswise form (curvature) of the fingerboard doesn’t corrispond to the curvature of the bridge (is flater) The standard crosswise radius of the bridge/fingerboard would be about 43mm if I remember right.

Interesting & thanks for the info... I have wondered from time to time about certain numbers he quotes.  In any case I always carve down to +1 mm of the final string height and do a re-measure of all the clearances before tweaking the bridge height or string grooves down to the final height.  Then play it and see how the action feels in the upper positions.  Too low can feel play really easy until you try the pizzicato... then you can get a buzz...

Joe

Thanks for all the input.  I ended up marking the A and C bridge points for a 5.5 and 7.5 mm fb height respectively and connected them with a 43 mm arc.  It now plays and sounds, IMNSHO, very good.  Thanks again. 

A related question........ what is a good starting position (distance) for the sound post behind the treble bridge foot?