Hoist By My Own Petard

So, I’m using someone else’s neck and scroll templates...  

But there’s a slight problem:  a disagreement between the outline/peg hole template, and the pegbox profile template.  Long story short: there’s not much clearance between the neck-end of the pegbox and the G peg.  What should I do?  Change the angle, borrow a few mm from the nut and root, or...   and yes, I already trimmed the neck root to length.

HELP!

thanks!

post-35343-0-73105100-1399675936_thumb.jpg

Two points:

> For the wood quality shown in the photo I would not waste time bushing the holes.

> The precise relationship of the nut to the chin may be less of a requirement for some types of players.

One conclusion:

> Move nut or chuck out.

Yes Addie

Jacob has the correct answer from my point of view also.

I have many neck pieces of wood sitting around waiting, in my outside shop to choose from, so to me it doesn't matter. If you don't have some blanks hanging around, and have to re-order one and then wait for it to arrive, I would completely understand that you might plug and re drill the holes and just continue on.

But the fact of the matter is that, for me, the carving of the scroll is where the real work starts, so, I've got to say that from this point, where just the outline has been accomplished - well, I'd simply put this bad boy aside, and start over again. No question about it.

The important thing to me, would be to find out why the error in the pattern was made in the first place, redraw it correctly, and prevent doing it again in the future. 

Chuck it away, and start again with a new piece of wood

Michael may be right, it may works as he suggests, but Jacob suggestion is probably better. When you have plugged the hole and re-drilled it, only to find that it is out of sync with the other 3 holes, you will probably wish that you had just bitten down hard on the bullet. I once talked about quality control on this site. Sometimes these decisions are very difficult, but in the long term they are usually for the best. Anyway it is not as if you have cut the scroll. It won't take you that long to reach this stage again.

My first post to Maestronet was to ask about some black stains in my spruce belly, which Roger and others identified as mould. Even though I was told it wouldn't harm the tone, or be weak, I didn't move on with it. I set it aside and started two other violins, but last Friday started a new belly to replace the one with mould.

The new belly is better in every way. I feel pleased that I won't have to hide any mould or other blemishes, and hope nobody notices it, or make excuses if they do like "it won't harm the tone". The old belly won't be wasted, it can be used for varnish practice, sound post patch practice, or anything else I might want to practice.

It took me two days to make the belly again, but you could restart your scroll and be at that stage in less than 30 minutes and all your troubles will be forgotten after that. :) I'd only salvage something made with very special wood.

I have a fair stack of bits and pieces in the workshop that I scrapped for one reason or another, including some nearly finished instruments that I just don't like. I find that if I don't like something I can't sell it. I lose much less to quality control now than I did when I was younger, but still some things wind up set aside.

I find it very hard to destroy the rejects - they sit around looking at me, waiting to be finished - and they really clutter up my head. I asked a bowmaker friend what he does with his rejects. If he makes a mistake or doesn't like something, he burns it immediately - No doubt, no regrets, no will I or won't I - a clean healthy positive workshop. 

Chuck it in the fire Addie. Start again.

Whether to use it or not,, would depend upon the demeanor of the build,,,

that being what it is,,,

I place my A peg a full hole + a mm or two closer to the end of the box.

I don't like the A peg hole ending up cracking into air.

If it is deeper and closer to the end of the box, it will crack into the end wall,,

not the top of the side wall.

Am I being sufficiently confusing yet?

I would have drilled the whole mess closer to the scroll.

That's all.

post-48078-0-67657400-1399875502_thumb.jpg

Two of the holes are bushed, and the volute is halfway there...  

This is for a less-than-valuable headless violin that’s been sitting around too long.  So the wood quality is not an issue, nor are the bushings.  Thanks to all, especially Duane and the Captain.  And to Roger for the nice PM.