Sign in to follow this  
GoldenPlate

Violin ID

It looks like a rather pretty Klingenthal instrument around 1800, something like one of the Dörffel, or similar

Im interested, why you date it around 1800? It's not impossible, but IMO it's more probable that it is later, rather mid 19th, isn't it (while it is almost difficult to tell an exact age for this kind of fiddles)?

The scroll looks saxon, but possibly not original to this instrument (looks later, 2nd half of the 19th, no grafting visible).

Galea liked to strip and revarnish violins.  The ones I've seen have been a sickly green-brown.  If this has been revarnished it is an improvement over his earlier varnish.

Im interested, why you date it around 1800? It's not impossible, but IMO it's more probable that it is later, rather mid 19th, isn't it (while it is almost difficult to tell an exact age for this kind of fiddles)?

The scroll looks saxon, but possibly not original to this instrument (looks later, 2nd half of the 19th, no grafting visible).

On reflection, you could well be right, and I should substitute "1800" for early 19th. C. It is diffucult though, since we practically never see one with a reliable date for reference. I wouldn't have doubted the scroll though, and can't see if the neck is new or not. I would point out, that you don't see a neck graft if I do one (touch wood!)

The Dörffel that's pictured in Hamma is a very nice looking violin. The model looks very Strad inspired and the work seems more refined than other Klingenthal makers earlier and later. Are these violins fairly common and are they sought after and appreciated by players?

Also, would a violin like this have a through-neck originally, or were the Klingenthal makers morticing necks by the early 19thc?

The Dörffel that's pictured in Hamma is a very nice looking violin. The model looks very Strad inspired and the work seems more refined than other Klingenthal makers earlier and later. Are these violins fairly common and are they sought after and appreciated by players?

Also, would a violin like this have a through-neck originally, or were the Klingenthal makers morticing necks by the early 19thc?

They are fairly frequent, which is why I am sure that they are not all made by a Dörffel. They are so rarely labelled that I can't imagine how anyone could possibly want to attribute them to any particular individual in or around Klingenthal, although they can be very attractive “Meistergeigen”. They would originally have had “Through neck” and “Carved Bass Bar”, and should be left like that, since they work perfectly both set up as “Modern” or “Bar-Rock”. They are not appreciated anything like as much as they should be, and represent probably the best value for money, for a pretty, well sounding best part of 200 year old “Master” made violin that can be had. But as we have already been told (post # 4), people would prefer to pay real money for worthless garbage

They are fairly frequent, which is why I am sure that they are not all made by a Dörffel. They are so rarely labelled that I can't imagine how anyone could possibly want to attribute them to any particular individual in or around Klingenthal, although they can be very attractive “Meistergeigen”. They would originally have had “Through neck” and “Carved Bass Bar”, and should be left like that, since they work perfectly both set up as “Modern” or “Bar-Rock”. They are not appreciated anything like as much as they should be, and represent probably the best value for money, for a pretty, well sounding best part of 200 year old “Master” made violin that can be had. But as we have already been told (post # 4), people would prefer to pay real money for worthless garbage

Over a thousand bucks for the OP violin is real money, and would be considered a serious investment by most people.who haven't had their simplicity corrupted by decades of consorting with convictable connoisseurs.  I much prefer to spread my investment among 8 or 10 ressurectables with decent wood, triple or quadruple my money by adding value,  and grin all the way to the bank, while picking up the odd chance Meistergeige as they happen along.  That's hardly "paying real money for worthless garbage".  Based on my ability to find 'em. fix 'em, and turn 'em for a profit, it's a sound business strategy. :P:lol:  [sorta like marine salvage but lots safer and much less work ;) ]

Over a thousand bucks for the OP violin is real money, and would be considered a serious investment by most people.who haven't had their simplicity corrupted by decades of consorting with convictable connoisseurs.  I much prefer to spread my investment among 8 or 10 ressurectables with decent wood, triple or quadruple my money by adding value,  and grin all the way to the bank, while picking up the odd chance Meistergeige as they happen along.  That's hardly "paying real money for worthless garbage".  Based on my ability to find 'em. fix 'em, and turn 'em for a profit, it's a sound business strategy. :P:lol:  [sorta like marine salvage but lots safer and much less work ;) ]

I would have thought that the maths were the same, except for the decimal point being further to the right, but please yourself

...  [sorta like marine salvage but lots safer and much less work ;) ]

...ah!  But there seem to be sharks to watch out for in both waters... :ph34r:

Vda what are some of the interesting master violins that you've purchased along the way and have kept any for your personal collection?

Vda what are some of the interesting master violins that you've purchased along the way and have kept any for your personal collection?

Yes, I have kept them so far, as the pursuit of them is what started me on this path in the first place.  Expect a PM :)