What kind of plane do you use for fingerboard work?

Hello,

I woud like to ask what kind of plane works the best for a fingerboard correction?  I also wonder if a Low angle or a standard angle plane works better to do this type of job?  I look towards Lie-Niesen 102 and 103 planes.  The difference is only in angle of a blade, the 102 is a Low angle and the 103 is a Standard angle.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/block-planes/small-block-planes/

Thank you!

Hello,

I woud like to ask what kind of plane works the best for a fingerboard correction?  I also wonder if a Low angle or a standard angle plane works better to do this type of job?  I look towards Lie-Niesen 102 and 103 planes.  The difference is only in angle of a blade, the 102 is a Low angle and the 103 is a Standard angle.

Thank you!

Low angle planes are for end grain.  A high angle works better on the ebony - think of how you are going to be finishing it with scrapers.

Tim

you can use a low angle plane, just grind a higher angle bevel (or hone a higher angle micro bevel) on the blade. then, voila, you have a high angle plane.

this is a real benefit of a low angle plane. you can have a standard blade for end grain and a high angle blade for difficult long grain work.

it's possible, but trickier, to grind a blade at a lower than standard angle to make a high angle plane suitable for end grain (you need a back bevel on the blade for edge strength). 

So, a low angle plane is actually a bit more versatile (and you may find it more comfortable to hold -I do).

I own both the L-N 102 & 103 among several other block planes. The 103 is my work horse, mostly because I like the way it fits my hands when I plane boards and bridges. I would see if you can find someone with both to put them in your hand.

Hello,

Thank you!

I use an old Stanley 102 on finger boards.  Sharp goes without saying.

Are you asking about a plane used for the playing surface?

If so, I use a Stanley block plane with a modified sole (crowned very slightly over it's length) with an upgraded blade in it, and have so for 30 years.  I very rarely use a scraper to finish or make corrections, but rather reduce the blade exposure for a very fine continuous (end to end) cut, then finish with a sanding block relieved with the board radius and some fresh abrasive paper.

I use a Stanley 60 1/2 low angle block plane that I inherited from my dad and which I use for absolutely everything. The only thing I changed since I got it was that I had the right side milled at exactly 90° to the sole for useing on a shooting board. Recently, the cam of the cap iron broke for no apparent reason, and my workshop practically ground to a halt. On the search for a new cam, I discovered to my astonishment, if not to say...... ,that it is American! (perhaps that is why it broke?). Worse still, the only place where I could find the spare part was bloody Ebay. Humble pie squared! :wacko: