Maestronet Forums

Consigning an instrument

not telling

I would hesitate to call Carl a “complete imbecile” before I knew what his real name was

LOL. First read how I worded the logical proposition carefully.   Second, there were days when even Einstein worked hard at being a complete imbecile, as when he made that crack about God not shooting dice :lol:

Jacob, thank you as always, but if he's going to say things like that, he's going to get a vigorous response from me.  The women pilots I know are excellent, BTW :lol:  B)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hesitated to say anything to that because I felt I had been baited enough for one day, and anyway, it's a violin forum. There were certain things which I thought cannot be said. But while we're here...I guess he knows that there are lots of women in the air traffic control tower? Does that make a difference to him?

But a logical proof...erm...proposition...is more fun. I enjoy Wittengenstein as much as anyone. Thanks for that. Onward to violin- related etceteras?

I've never heard of the plane that was ordered back to the terminal after the women pilot was suspected of being legally drunk. If we are talking about male pilots, the situation is completely different. Hence, my vote goes to pilotessas.

give it time .... women and men have the same basic flaw....of being human.

Wow. So much in this thread that is thought provoking. I find I can't stay out this time and lurk…..

I find the anonymity of posters annoying, just as I like to know who I am talking to in person or on the phone.

I find the gender of posters irrelevant. I am not saying that there is not gender bias in this trade. I believe there is, but it is just one of many prejudices I have observed. Some, but certainly not most, people are swayed in their initial opinion of someone's work by their gender, perceived age, fame or notoriety, the condition of the case, known experience, how the maker is dressed, country of origin, ethnicity, specific school of training or self-taught, level of education, whether the maker is also a musician, a member of the AFVBM, etc. 

Competitions take away all of the above. They level the playing field. Score there, and it is not because of who you are. It is only  because of your work. 

"Not telling", I strongly recommend attending a VSA convention even for a day. You will learn a lot about how your/your partner's instruments fit in to the general scheme of things. This knowledge will help you fine tune your marketing. The most dramatic time to take in the VSA convention (if you only have one day) is at the end of the week. Then approximately 200 contemporary violins, 100 violas, 100 cellos, several basses and dozens of bows are there to be seen and heard.

The self-education of seeing your work next to that of so very many colleagues can be profound. 

I love Maestronet and these conversations.

Marilyn Wallin

Lincoln, Nebraska

Wow. So much in this thread that is thought provoking. I find I can't stay out this time and lurk…..

I love Maestronet and these conversations.

Marilyn Wallin

Lincoln, Nebraska

Same here. Initially I thought it would be a sticky wicket to admit I'm just finding out things about the trade for my own knowledge and for my luthier husband. I thought no one would talk to me. I still am not 100% sure if that would be the case. I have been here a couple months now, every day. So I thought maybe it was time. Here is me! People will maybe accept me at face value since i occasionally have something to contribute (I read and do a couple things around the shop, imo I do have some knowledge) even though I don't post my name or face? I hope so.

I would post as me probably...name and all...but my husband works too hard to have some stream of consciousness rambling of mine reflect on him.

So...yea...we know the VSA is an important goal. It is expensive to get there.

Thank you for the encouragement though. Thanks for being on MN. Instant access to top luthiers like you is an amazing opportunity for people starting out.