Maestronet Forums

Who's going to Oberlin this Summer?

Jeff White

In light of the other thread in which Oberlin was discussed, I figured I'd start one about Oberlin by itself.  Was just wondering who was going, and are you on the violin, or the bow side?  Seems we always have a thread about it afterwards, but haven't seen one before.  Maybe Jeff or David can chime in as to availability.  I do know that the bow side of things has been a little sparse the last few years.  If anyone is interested in bow restoration and repairs, then you should contact Jeff H. as there seems to be a world of knowledge over there.  They actually put on little demonstrations for the violin side of things on rehairing etc.  Kari Azure (from Joe P's shop) put on a great slideshow of a new technic in frog restoration last year.  The violin side has usually been pretty full, but don't know what the numbers are like for this year.  Looks like Andrew Dipper is back this year on staff, and Jeff is bring out someone representing the West Coast this year!! Joseph Grubaugh from the "Wine Country", you now what that means........... Christian Shabbon will also be teaching (from Ruening's shop).    jeff

Hey Jeff; Christian & Joe are the guest teachers this year.  I expect some really excellent thinking and great varnish touchup ideas!  Hope Andrew can make it back another year.... we like to rotate, but he's been fun to have with us.

We can probably squeeze in two or three people on the instrument side, and I believe the bow side still has some openings.  

I know several here are attending one workshop or another.  Good idea to have a before and after thread.  I'd like to know who is attending what!  Maybe we can have a blended "after" report.

I'll certainly be attending (instrument restoration). 

This past november I had the great privilege of gathering together a sampling of past participants to present "hands on" demonstrations at the VSA convention.  It was a fun look back at the previous four years in making the decision of what would be relevant to a broad spectrum of people.  In doing so, it made me realize that a lot of what goes on at Oberlin Restoration is either on or near the bleeding edge of restoration technique and conservation.  The tip of that bloody knife is often the bow side.  Some real wizardry takes place there.  That's not to say that everything that goes on at Oberlin restoration is inaccessible, far from it. There are plenty of ordinary everyday challenges tackled. 

Christian Schabbon posts here from time to time (CSchabbon).  If you google, you'll see some examples of his work. It's impressive.  He's a nice guy too. 

In light of the other thread in which Oberlin was discussed, I figured I'd start one about Oberlin by itself.  Was just wondering who was going, and are you on the violin, or the bow side?  Seems we always have a thread about it afterwards, but haven't seen one before.

Heck,  maybe both of us suffered some physical injuries from the "water balloon fight" last year, but it appears that we're both willing to take the risk again.

I'll always remember Rene Morel, standing on the porch, fending off water balloons with a large cooking utensil. :lol:

That's because the guys on the bow side won't let him touch bows :o

Hey, there was only a small amount of blood loss that one time...

Heck,  maybe both of us suffered some physical injuries from the "water balloon fight" last year, but it appears that we're both willing to take the risk again.

I'll always remember Rene Morel, standing on the porch, fending off water balloons with a large cooking utensil. :lol:

I would have loved to see that.  

David,

Do I remember correctly that Rene lobbed one of those balloons right back at someone with that cookie sheet and it exploded on the perpetrator? Or is it just my active imagination again?

And to the point of the thread- I will be attending Violin Making again. I am working on a pair of small/medium violas and will be finishing the wood work on one during that two weeks. It is always inspiring to see the variety of results others get with a wide range of tools and techniques.

always aiming higher,

Marilyn Wallin

Lincoln, Nebraska

Likewise Jerry Lynn!  I'm not so sure about the water balloons, but the bow repairing sounds great!

Ed

You can avoid the water balloons Ed.  They only occur on Friday night.  And, the main instigators are fairly obvious:

post-24735-0-43830800-1396741370_thumb.jpg  

and (note whoopee cushion in hand)

post-24735-0-17219400-1396741589_thumb.jpg