Sign in to follow this  
Alex l. Reza

How much for this viola!?!?

I saw that.  Seems just a tad high, doesn't it?

No, it's not. It's an unique piece of art and history. See what paintings fetch. :)  And this one is dual-purpose : look and listen. 

I suppose the difference here is in end use.  Both an instrument and a painting will deteriorate with age...but you don't 'handle' a painting - making it easier to preserve...

Is this viola is going in a glass showcase to be preserved?  Or will it be played...

Still, interestingly enough, outside the realm of reality for most living souls.

The cost alone makes this thing more of a collectors item, than anything else.

That the future owner might assign it to some favored musician, is another thing altogether. But, I must wonder what the value of such items would be if the ultra rich weren't so enamored of the name.

Think of tulips ;

The amount the market declined from peak to bottom:

This number is difficult to calculate, but, we can tell you that at the peak of the market, a person could trade a single tulip for an entire estate, and, at the bottom, one tulip was the price of a common onion.

Still, interestingly enough, outside the realm of reality for most living souls.

The cost alone makes this thing more of a collectors item, than anything else.

That the future owner might assign it to some favored musician, is another thing altogether. But, I must wonder what the value of such items would be if the ultra rich weren't so enamored of the name.

Think of tulips ;

The amount the market declined from peak to bottom:

This number is difficult to calculate, but, we can tell you that at the peak of the market, a person could trade a single tulip for an entire estate, and, at the bottom, one tulip was the price of a common onion.

Collectors ? Nope. This is for a new breed " the investor-collector :) .  And THIS market won't go down . 

I must wonder what the value of Impressionist art would be if the ultra rich weren't so enamored of the names. :D

But seriously, people long ago quit being astonished at $50,000,000 for a piece of art to hang on a wall and impress their friends; those same people scoff at the idea of a $1,000,000 violin that can be used to bring pleasure to many.  But then mankind isn't always rational.

My thoughts, and you're welcome to ' em. :lol:

I have a dear friend who has complained that fine violins are underpriced as compared to other fine art.

I told him about this viola, and he said, "See. Finally." He has a couple violins and a few bows that fall into this category, so he might benefit in the end.

As for this particular viola, it is the only opportunity to obtain a Strad viola. I believe that one other is in private hands, and I seem to remember David Fulton, when talking about completing a Strad quartet, mentioning the other as being in the hands of the Rothschild family, and mentioning that he didn't think that they needed money! The other eight are in institutions, I believe, and 2 composite bastards floating around (i.e. ex Axelrod...)

Consider the single example remaining of the 1 cent magenta from British Guyana. I remember it coming up for auction when I was a kid, and here it is again, and expected to sell for 15-20 million. A Stamp. Only one left...If a stamp can sell for more than the Lady Blunt, and there are plenty of Strad violins available, albeit not in that condition, why not a viola for 45 million.

A player can't buy it, perhaps a bank or a country, and I doubt that any museum has that liquidity.

Perhaps Mr. Fulton will make one last purchase, or does it go to the Chi-Mei Foundation? 

If you are a collector and are looking to assemble a quartet of Strads, its possible that this could be the last chance any individual will get-ever. Or at least until the US govmt shuts down and they have to liquidate the Simthsonian and LOC collections.

People don't buy expensive art to look at it, well maybe, but expensive art is a form of currency now. A 45 mil viola will be the same thing. A million dollar violin is just an expensive rare instrument with some commodity value for a person who can afford it.  At 45 million it puts an instrument into the realm of being a form of currency, a place holder for dollars, expensive gold in wood form. I'm just surprised it took this long for an instrument go that high in an auction estimate. 

As Sam Zygmuntowicz states in a comment somewhere about this, 

"What’s ironic is that the Stadivari violas are, well they are very rare for one thing, but they are not as sought after as his violins. His violins have really formed the archetype that most people have studied and followed. His violas are a little more cramped and they are not a very broad sound in general.

Just as a maker myself, I have never chosen Stradivari violas to model instruments after because they are a little narrow and there are other instruments by Amati and other makers, with a more generous proportion and give it a richer sound. Purely speaking as a musical tool and generally speaking, Stradivari viola is not the most ideal you can think of."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/setting-a-new-bar-for-the-price-of-musical-instruments/

Roger if you win the lottery save off some of the money and come visit me and I'll take you squid fishing. It's a good time and will help you relax & come down from the adrenaline high of winning the viola at auction. 

A bunny suit and a cephalopod and you could retire a happy, happy man.  :D

Roger if you win the lottery save off some of the money and come visit me and I'll take you squid fishing. It's a good time and will help you relax & come down from the adrenaline high of winning the viola at auction. 

A bunny suit and a cephalopod and you could retire a happy, happy man.  :D

That sound like a nice way to spend a few days. I'll be over there as soon as I have cashed the cheque.

Sorry, I know this sounds dumb considering the magnitude of the viola's history, but I've never seen pegs exactly like that before (collars and incised pips). Thanks for the photo. Anybody know when they might have been installed?