Sign in to follow this  
Berl Mendenhall

Beautiful old tools

On 9/6/2019 at 11:15 AM, Jim Bress said:

Anyway, I just finished restoring an old Atlas compound table. It has X, Y, and swivel adjustments. I’ll attach it to my drill press and see if it’s mostly helpful or mostly in the way. And no, I will not use it for milling. The retired machinist in me won’t allow for that kind of drill press abuse. 

Nice old tool. 

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2014 at 3:41 PM, lpr5184 said:

Öld loggers in my area refer to the two man saw as a "misery whip". Rightly so. Next time you have to cut down a tree ask a young person to help you. They will probably think to themselves..."Cool I get to use a chainsaw". Then when they aren't looking pull out the misery whip and then watch their expression.

Good lesson/punishment for a youngster. Better still if the saw is dull... :)

When I was a teenager working a construction job the foreman came by the site and asked who wanted to learn to use a power shovel. I was the first to raise my hand and when we got to the new job was handed a spade with the injunction  "OK let's see some power".

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2014 at 10:44 AM, Urban Luthier said:

I love old tools i really do, but many of them require a lot of tweaking to get them to really sing -- this is a hobby in itself and I enjoy it.

If i were a pro maker deriving my sole source of income from making, I'd go straight to Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen and purchase a very limited number of quality tools and be done with it.

I have no idea how young makers can afford to set up shop today. When I was starting I was able to buy a set of Marples chisels, a square and a Record block plane for $50 which with a few of my Grandfather's cast off carving tools and knives made from old jointer knives were enough to get me started. Norris and Bailey bench planes could be had for $5 dollars each in most antique stores and reconditioned for $25 a semester at the local high school continuing education machine tool shop.

Tom Lie Nielsen was just getting his prototypes together and I still use some finger plane blades made in his partners machine shop for a couple bucks apiece..

I think the sad truth is Nathan that professional woodworking, for the most part, now is practiced by a small number of professionals and amateur enthusiasts. 50 years ago most schools taught woodworking and households would have has basic wood working tools. Fast forward to day and I'd guess that most homes don't have basic carpentry tools.  Although the current production Lee valley (veritas) and Lie Nielsen are made to much higher tolerances than Stanley's of old, there is no denying that it simply costs more to manufacture product for a smaller audience. 

I have collected ,bought and sold woodwork tools all my adult life and I think now prices are low on higher end tools in the used market . I bought the 18 inch Norris plane below for less than £300 earlier this year, these were selling for about £1000/1200 ten years ago, also pictured a nice handmade string lifter I recently acquired. When Paul Sellers uses a particular tool on youT there is always an increase in price for a few weeks at least one example is the hand routers (like the one above my plane) they were selling for £20 ish ten years ago now seem to tip the £10027D504BA-F983-4231-A755-F937526AC20E.thumb.jpeg.821dc1265602020e06a91d5b05762388.jpeg88E6180E-3054-42FB-854C-CAFFA8729363.thumb.jpeg.234d0dc85dea03445254a86f1222debc.jpeg

On 9/11/2019 at 7:40 AM, TimRobinson said:

No a luthier's tool, but I bought this brass copy of a Stanley 98 recently at a market for $5.  It was pretty grotty but cleaned up very nicely.

Tim

Stanley 98.jpg

Looks neat and smartly designed!  Is the steel piece in front of the plane blade meant to do sideway cuts?

22 hours ago, Kae said:

Looks neat and smartly designed!  Is the steel piece in front of the plane blade meant to do sideway cuts?

This shows how it is used:

Regards,

Tim