Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Faulk

We don need no stinkin' clamps

A quote from the del Gesù code:

Se si può fare un violoncello, è possibile effettuare morsetti.

+

IHS

;)

Looks like a tied up roast. Reminds me of my optometrist telling me about one of his tours in Europe. He works on vintage clocks as a hobby. Takes an occasional pipe organ tour in Europe on which historic organs are visited, played by professionals, and by the tour participants. 

He said he visited a site dedicated to Mendelsshon. Maybe a residence of the composer? The story was that in hard times the original hand written manuscripts of Mendelsshon's compositions were being used to wrap meat at a butcher shop. At least some of the ones rescued were displayed at the memorial location. Imagine getting your roast home, unwrapping it to cook, and there on your supper is the reconstituted ink of timeless classical music; in reverse. Try playing summa that.

Steve

Get your minds out of the gutter. 

smileyslaughing_lol_computer_100-100.gif  I see you're multifaceted and good at tying up the loose ends............

I do this too sometimes, the only difference is I usually place it in a box and put it in the closet for safe keeping, just like my gimp. :o

May I ask what the point of this exercise is?

I did not wan the neck to move while it was being glued. How are you really supposed to actually officially do it? 

I've never ever practiced that on a live human. 

Oh dear!  One is uneasy at where semantic analysis of that statement leads................... :lol:

Ouch, that's a little harsh, since none of us know what the original colors were.

If you know the guy, and are just joking around with him a little, that would be different.

Jeeze Louise, it just gets deeper and deeper.  Welcome to another episode of "The Old and the Clueless"  :lol:

I feel we're getting to where we can make a thread out of anything.

Congratulations, Stephen, you've done it again :)   We need to hear from Bass Clef, though.............

I did not wan the neck to move while it was being glued. How are you really supposed to actually officially do it? 

A single clamp from fingerboard to button with fitted cauls is the standard method. If the mortise is properly cut the neck pulls itself to the block. It takes some practice to find the right amount of tightness for the joint. Too loose and the single clamp won't hold everything together, too tight and you won't be able to fully seat the neck to the button after the glue is applied. I like to cut an extra shaving off the side of the top's edge, similar to what is done at the saddle though not as much. Cheers,

Daryl do you temporarily tape a slight wedge of wood on to the top of the fingerboard, so that the clamp's angle of force is more in line with the mortise?  Is that what you mean by "fitted cauls?"

E

Daryl do you temporarily tape a slight wedge of wood on to the top of the fingerboard, so that the clamp's angle of force is more in line with the mortise?  Is that what you mean by "fitted cauls?"

E

Exactly, and that the caul is shaped to fit the fingerboard radius. I've tried a flat pad on the fingerboard but the wedge shape works better. 

Is there a best practice angle of force of the clamp do you think?  On long mortise instruments like cellos I've tried to angle the clamp pressure, from fingerboard to button/mortise bottom in a way that there is a very slight pushing of the clamp pressure "into the mortise."  So, to visualize, the clamp foot on the fingerboard side is ever so slightly toward the scroll in comparison to the button end... does that make sense?

E