Sign in to follow this  
GoldenPlate

Violin ID

The end pin shifted way over to the treble side... typical of Naples, along with the grafted scroll. The double purfling and sound post crack(s) were features of extra Super-dee-duper Neapolitan violins. Emphasis on the duper.

Addie,

May I suggest, at the risk of being censored, that one line of purfling was placed in Naples, and the other in Brescia?

Perhaps he was implying Naples, FL and thus having something to do with Harry Duffy?

This really is a violin that is past the point of being restorable. I sell things like this to fiddle players who love old cracked-up fiddles, with the understanding that we are going to become good friends over the years...

p.s. in this condition, provenance is moot.

Addie,

May I suggest, at the risk of being censored, that one line of purfling was placed in Naples, and the other in Brescia?

Yes, that’s standard on better violins of this type.  I assumed we all knew that?  It’s mentioned on page 227 of Ambrosia Trifida’s book on the Neapolitan and Brescian makers.  I’m sure you have it on your shelf.   :lol:

Yes, that’s standard on better violins of this type.  I assumed we all knew that?  It’s mentioned on page 227 of Ambrosia Trifida’s book on the Neapolitan and Brescian makers.  I’m sure you have it on your shelf.   :lol:

No, but I do have the bootleg, underground copy edited by Mr. Whiffenpoof.

Hmmm, haven’t seen that one.  Sounds too low brow for my library.  Whiffenpoof doesn’t even use decent paper.

You probably don’t have Trifida’s book on violin molds and mildews either?  The people who matter consider it a “must have."

You probably don’t have Trifida’s book on violin molds and mildews either?  The people who matter consider it a “must have."

Don't need it.  Here, I'm able to grow my own................ :lol:

Don't need it.  Here, I'm able to grow my own................ :lol:

Ah, but can you identify them. Brescian mold is different from the stuff down in Naples.

Ah, but can you identify them. Brescian mold is different from the stuff down in Naples.

Absolutely.  And Ambrosia Trifida’s book is the ONLY scratch-and-sniff violin ID book out there.  There, you learn something new every day on Maestronet.   :)