Maestronet Forums

Roger's edge method

Berl Mendenhall

Hi Conor

When a large mass vibrates does not stop as easy as a small mass. This is your knives example.

Regards

Tango

Additionally, a large mass requires more energy and time to set it into motion. This will directly affect how the instrument responds to the bow.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm

Yes, an interesting thing.

Perhaps as Violadamore suggests, it was simply a 'ceremonial or symbolic' type of a plate marking - but I am stuck thinking that the Cremonese makers were perhaps not superstitious enough, to have such a thing appear en masse on their early violins, like they do, for a non-constructive reason.

Since I've never seen one myself - I can only imagine what their purpose was, but the reason why does sort of bother me. I keep thinking that such a thing ought to be obvious, or given to reasoning ... or - what they (these holes/pins) satisfied, construction wise. But I do imagine that they had a purpose, on the instruments that they appear on.  

Does anyone here know what would happen if someone tried to balance a separated back plate, on a pin in the dimple on the plate?

Sorry, just curious - I realize that this is probably a stupid/overly obvious question...

But thit is dealing with something that I've never seen in person, and only heard about.

Simple reasoning points towards it being either a leftover mark from the construction process (an initial depth benchmark to aid in hollowing), or it was something used in the final thicknessing of the plates; perhaps something not so far fetched as what you mention.

One thing that you can be sure- it served a definite purpose, not a whimsical fancy.

Does anyone here know what would happen if someone tried to balance a separated back plate, on a pin in the dimple on the plate?

I heard about such a theory, the ventral pin would be placed in the ( ideal ) centre of gravity, and graduation would be done in relation to the results ...

I think it ' s in an old book by Lucien Greilsammer.

• 4 months later...