Just incase anybody has a hole burning in their pocket, I should perhaps point out that this:

http://cgi.ebay.at/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331141504486

isn’t a Johann Adam Schönfelder Anno 1743, but an instrument from about 100 years later with a facimile (fake) label. The very early Neukirchener are very few and far between, and much nicer, and would, as I have pointed out time and time again, have the label on the inside of the treble middle rib,and not in the “normal” place.

Jacob...it's so funny..I posted at exactly the same moment as you did...

To be accurate, one minute earlier than you :)

I was trying to protect you from the customary uncalled-for scolding from Scotland :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity... What is approximately the value of such a violin? I've got a very similar instrument in a slightly better condition and with a slightly different label (Guarnerius... :)), but I must say its sound is simply marvellous, slightly approaching old Italians :rolleyes:

There are guys who will easily pay 2K for a fiddle just for sound alone for a working instrument, even if its a relatively common 19th century Saxon job. It has to really grab them though.

Hasn't this particular fiddle been up before?

post-24603-0-33720900-1394098705_thumb.jpg

Regarding the facsimile labels that were sold by the Markneukirchen Dealers, which I have often posted about, the last time here:
http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/330169-viola-labeled-lavazza/
there is a typical „leaf“ of them pictured on Page 416 of Zöbisch (Picture above), ready to cut out and stick in anywhere, spot the 1743 Schönfelder label, and here are some more, long since cut out, from my stamp album. Also look for a 1743 Schönfelder. Since the one that Golden Plate linked too in post #6 is also 1743, this Schönfelder bloke must have been a turbo-Stakanovite that year and made about 30.000 violins.

post-24603-0-12960000-1394098707_thumb.jpg

I posted on a previous occasion regarding the violin signatures from this area, so I hope nobody will mind if save myself time, and link to that:
http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329064-a-well-cured-saxon-hamm-maybe-so/#entry601191

This violin is availiable again, this time not as a Schönfelder from 1743, but:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Rare-Very-Old-Antique-18th-Century-German-Violin-Ready-to-Play-No-Reserve-/331194968038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1cc227e6

This violin has been ascribed and was attributed to Johann Schonfelder, but that opinion has not been confirmed. Therefore, this violin shall be represented as 'ascribed' to Johann Adam Schonfelder”,

so kind of congratulations. Perhaps he should try the “Antiques Roadshow” next time :P

Just out of curiosity... What is approximately the value of such a violin? I've got a very similar instrument in a slightly better condition and with a slightly different label (Guarnerius... :)), but I must say its sound is simply marvellous, slightly approaching old Italians :rolleyes:

I can't talk about the value, 'cause I don't know how to define it; but about my experience regarding the sale prices of this kind of violin in my home region, very near to the region of origin.

For a well made 1st half 19th century saxon violin in an acceptable, not over-repaired condition (what means, better than the OP) I'm expecting Euro 500-800, some of the "retail" (very expensive) shops are asking about 1 500. Maybe you can add shipping costs and taxes/custom duties.

Tarisio, for instance, estimates a "saxon/bohemian violin early 19th century" in a very good condition usually around $ 1 000, as far as I remember.

Regarding the sound you could discuss it in threads like "Does old cremonese sound exist?" :lol: