Sign in to follow this  
Michael K.

Holtey planes

First time i saw it in "The Strad" today, never heard before.

Looks very nice, but the price for this is more as 8.600$ !!!!!!

Anybody have it and can tell us the final result on the wood that justify the price compare to others?

post-1262-0-60002400-1393957036_thumb.jpg

post-1262-0-31012300-1393957045_thumb.jpg

Holtey planes are works of art and made to miniscule tolerances . Whether you justify buying one is up to the buyer. They have been mentioned on here a few times,with a few people owning them. These are his latest models using synthetic materials etc... he built his reputation making traditional wood  infill types. I have tried a few and they are nice but i couldnt personally justify the prices he asks.

Holtey planes are designed to be top performers, and in woodworking circles that have tested them, they are proven to be just that.

They are also though investments.   Something a parent would be happy to hand down to the next generation of woodworker.

The question is though, are they necessary?

Violin makers have gotten along without them because the wood does not demand them.

If violin wood was amongst the hardest to plane woods in the world, then we would all have to have them to make a violin.

Fortunately violin wood is not the wildest wood in the world.

The real value to someone who looks to enjoyment working wood is having such a wonderful tool to use.

Kinda makes you look forward to using them.

For those that have difficulty understanding the pleasure of owning and using one of these planes I think the best analogy would be it’s a bit like owning a classical Cremonease violin would be for the vast majority of musicians……certainly not necessary for what they use it for and very unlikely to make any noticeable difference to the results produced with the tool, but a real pleasure to handle, admire, own and use. 

neil

Maybe! Just imagine a super-Strad!

Even I can appeciate nice tools. I just spent what seems like an inordinate amount of money on bassoon reed adjusting tools...that I don't know how to use yet (hopefully I will start learning tomorrow). I splurged on the leather tool case too - it's like a leather purse. I know how to use those...

This looks to be a very fine plane.

I've always tried to avoid becoming a "tool freak" though, and have tried to keep my focus on practicality and "bang for the buck".

They are also though investments.   Something a parent would be happy to hand down to the next generation of woodworker.

Veritas or Lie Nielsen are, too-and a hell of a lot cheaper!